VW Golf 1.6 FSI (56 reg, 41k miles) - All four ignition coils faulty at the same time ? - FrankNHG

I have a VW Golf 1.6 FSI (56 reg) that started playing up a few days ago (noticeably shaking even when stationary with the engine running, misfiring and therefore lack of power etc.).

VW are telling me that there is a problem with the ignition coils on all four cylinders, which I find strange: Why would all four of them go wrong at the same time ?

Any advice appreciated,

Frank

VW Golf 1.6 FSI (56 reg, 41k miles) - All four ignition coils faulty at the same time ? - Collos25

Its seems strange but I suppose s*** happens ,Bmw diagnosed a faulty coil on my car at a free check up it was a broken spark plug connector when I looked a difference of some €100,I suppose they could be telling porkies but you will have to prove it by taking the exact faulty coils to checked by an independent assessor. Incidently how much do they charge for a coil.

To damage all four coils I would think you need a high current spike and this must come from somewhere down the line so it would appear that you have another faulty component.

VW Golf 1.6 FSI (56 reg, 41k miles) - All four ignition coils faulty at the same time ? - FrankNHG

Thanks for your thoughts. To replace four coils (including the original diagnostic, labour, VAT etc.) they are charging me £235.

VW Golf 1.6 FSI (56 reg, 41k miles) - All four ignition coils faulty at the same time ? - injection doc

I suspect one coil has failed but its best practice to replace all 4. if you drive away and next day another coil fails then the garage will be the bad boys! I suspect they are covering their back.

I always have replaced a complete set when they fail , especially on renaults and BMW's.as they are usually all the same age and milage so if one fails the others are at risk.

If you look at it from the garage point of view if they save you money and replace one and the next day another one fails you would expect it to be repaired FOC. been there done that so many times and the garage can end up being the bad boys and doing lots of work FOC

VW Golf 1.6 FSI (56 reg, 41k miles) - All four ignition coils faulty at the same time ? - jqsmooth

I have the same model and year of vehicle and had a nasty incident whereby we had a fire in the engine bay when starting the vehicle on xmas eve. Thankfully the fire didnt take hold so noone was hurt and nothing serious came of it.

Our garage diagnosed it as a faulty coil that ended up burning. We had previously had issues where the car starts to misfire and the engine felt lumpy, and this is what happened when the coil caught fire. I think there must be a defect with the coils on this model car. I might get in touch with VW, see what they say.