6 seater with luggage space - suggestions please! - japdriver

We have just had our 4th child (4 boys!), and now realise our Ford Galaxy (2001 model) is not big enough!!

When I say not big enough, what I mean is it seats the 6 of us no problem at all, but even with the 7th seat removed, there is not enough lugage space. As in a Phil & Teds buggy folded up fills the vacant chair space, so boy No. 1 has to climb over it to reach his seat. Not good, as not safe.

I have scratched my head and cannot think of a suitable vehicle (other than a grand Espace) that I can afford which fills the 6 spaces and buggy/bike/general family 'stuff'.

My budget is £3500 tops, it must be a manual ( my wife hates autos), and not a Grand Espace (fits the bill. but I cannot find a good word said about them regarding reliability!) It also needs to be reasonably economical so no v6 petrols etc....

I though Multipla, but no, piddly luggage space with the 6 seats in place, so no good.

Please anyone, help! I'm a bit of a car anorak, and can think of nothing now which fits the bill! Over to the backroom boys for your ideas....

Edited by japdriver on 21/10/2010 at 21:16

6 seater with luggage space - suggestions please! - daveyjp
You are into van MPVs. Peugeot Expert, Citroen Dispatch (same car), VW Caravelle/Transporter.
6 seater with luggage space - suggestions please! - Avant

You could live up to your name, Japdriver, and consider a Toyota Previa.

6 seater with luggage space - suggestions please! - Dutchie

Hello,wat about the Fiat Doblo 1.3 diesel.Plenty of room good engines just a thought.

Hello,wat about the Fiat Doblo 1.3 diesel.Plenty of room good engines just a thought.

I thought they only had 5 seats?

Sorry didn't get back to you earlier.You might be right I think the new Fiat Doblo has more seats..

The doblo can seat up to 7 people and luggage room left according to this revieuw.Prices start at about 11 thousand. I would have a look and take the family,this is the time of year to haggle and try to get a decent second hand one.

6 seater with luggage space - suggestions please! - johnnyrev

Old Doblo 7 seater has very little luggage space with the back row of seats in place. And the back row is a bench so can't have six seats and some luggage space.

I think the same is true of the new Doblo as well.

Old Doblo 7 seater has very little luggage space with the back row of seats in place. And the back row is a bench so can't have six seats and some luggage space.

I think the same is true of the new Doblo as well.

Cheers for the info. I had a feeling that was the case.
6 seater with luggage space - suggestions please! - cavey76
Japdriver, Are you me?

We are about to be in an almost identical situation. 4th due in 3, no sorry 2 and a bit weeks. We also have the Phil and Teds E3 large folding two seater. We recently got hold of a Honda FRV, now it is diesel not through preference more the fact that FRVs are like rocking horse guano in Northern Ireland but i did spot a few petrol ones under £5K in England when i was researching the purchase.

If your kids are young(our eldest just turned 5) it would fit the bill well. The Phil and Teds fits in the boot easily and there is still enough space for bags/general kids bumf.

We have tested it fully loaded in the last week with a 7 y.o friend of our youngest and it still didn't feel cramped.

It is two rows of three seats like the Fiat but from your description i am assuming the boot is bigger
Japdriver, Are you me? We are about to be in an almost identical situation. 4th due in 3, no sorry 2 and a bit weeks. We also have the Phil and Teds E3 large folding two seater. We recently got hold of a Honda FRV, now it is diesel not through preference more the fact that FRVs are like rocking horse guano in Northern Ireland but i did spot a few petrol ones under £5K in England when i was researching the purchase. If your kids are young(our eldest just turned 5) it would fit the bill well. The Phil and Teds fits in the boot easily and there is still enough space for bags/general kids bumf. We have tested it fully loaded in the last week with a 7 y.o friend of our youngest and it still didn't feel cramped. It is two rows of three seats like the Fiat but from your description i am assuming the boot is bigger

I could well be you! Are you me?! My 4 boys are all under 5 as well! The FRV sounds perfect, I just can't afford one :-( I like the idea of Honda reliability as well....Mind you the way the oldest boy has been lately, If I could sell him on Ebay, then maybe I'd have enough cash....but I wouldn't need a six seater then either lol!

You could live up to your name, Japdriver, and consider a Toyota Previa.

Unfortunately the Previa is the same as the Galaxy - loads of space with 5 seats in use, but very restricted with 6/7. :-(
6 seater with luggage space - suggestions please! - ablandy

have you considered adding a roof box?

Would make multi story car parks a problem though!

6 seater with luggage space - suggestions please! - dieseldogg

Have you considered a vascomety??

OK the "snip" for uz dyslextics

Have you considered a vascomety??

OK the "snip" for uz dyslextics

Worryingly that's next on the to do list.....gulp!
6 seater with luggage space - suggestions please! - a900ss
Don't worry about the op, that's a breeze. It's the 3 or 4 days afterwards when it feels like you've been kicked in the nuts that's the issue.

Good luck with it!