Looking for a new motor - feedback welcome - BDZ
Hi all,

I currently drive a Mk2 1.8 Mondeo Zetec that I'm looking to replace for a number of reasons, but mostly because corrosion has set in and it'll be too expensive to put it through an MOT next year.

So I'm looking for a new motor and the budget is tight so want to make sure I'm not stung by buying something that I'll regret.

I drive about 10k miles a year, with the bulk of my driving being a 6 mile trip to work and back on city roads every day but a trip to my parents is a 600 mile round trip so whatever vehicle I get needs to be good around town but capable of long motorway journeys without exploding or giving me a headache.

Things I need:

- approx £3500-4000 to spend
- needs to be economical around town where most of my driving is. Ideally 40mpg+
- ideally lower than group 9 insurance (i.e. less than the current Mondeo)
- when required it may have to transport 2 adults and a child with pushchair etc.
- needs to be reliable i.e. not French or a Punto
- needs to be able to manage long motorway journeys comfortably when required.
- needs to last 4-5 years or another 40k miles approx

Cars I've considered:

Honda Jazz 1.4dsi - economical and roomy, but not sure how this will manage at normal motorway speeds (i.e. 80 rather than bang on 70)

Mitsubishi Colt 1.5dci - wife has an older Colt (1.6 16v P reg) currently and has been an unbelievably good car with no issues. Also concerned about how it handles on the motorway after reading HJ's review.

Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI - would be looking at one with 60-70k+ miles to fit in budget so a bit concerned about expensive diesel engine faults. The 1.2 petrol seems a bit under powered for the motorway?

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI - plenty of these around but again not sure about long distance performance. Also a bit spa*** inside the cabin.

Ford Focus Mk1/2- petrol versions aren't that economical but am a bit wary of buying a higher mileage TDCI due to costs of diesel repairs.

Toyota Aygo - economical and not many in budget but suspect this will not be roomy enough.

Toyota Yaris - 1.3 VVT would be a good bet but not sure on the boot space.

Honda Civic - (older shape) seem reliable but HJ didn't seem to rate them that highly? Also apparently prone to rust, which I'm keen to avoid.

Peugeot/Renault - would not touch with a 10 foot pole, seem to have far too many faults.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI - boot maybe a bit small and a bit dull inside. Also common as muck.

Astra - really doesn't appeal. I drive an 05 plate 1.7 diesel at work and don't like it. Too flimsy and feels like it will fall apart.

As you can see I've considered several cars in some depth and the Jazz/Colt seems to be the favourite. I love the top end power of my Mondeo at motorway speeds but truth is it I don't need a 1.8 Zetec for 95% of my driving so will have to downsize but still want something that I could cruise for 300 miles in without feeling ill or deaf.

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome!

Looking for a new motor - feedback welcome - Dutchie

Hello no French cars no Italiano what about a golf or Bora?

Hello no French cars no Italiano what about a golf or Bora?

I'd thought about VW but I've had a Golf and a Polo in the past which had no end of problems. I know that they're generally reliable though I think I must have had bad luck with them.

We had the jazz the cvt model 1.4 i found it ok on the motorway long drive to the south of france no backache.Jazz are expensive second hand .Mitsubishi Colt nice car well engineerd. Should't be a problem on the motorway.I would go for the Mitsubishi underrated cars in my opinion.I had a mitsubishi space star good engine comfortable on the m/way the 1.6 engine.

Hello coming back what about the Mitsubishi Galant I think they have the 1.6 engine and a larger car for your family.You shouldt be able to buy a decent motor for your money.A friend mechanic who used to service them said bombproof engines his words.Good luck.

Looking for a new motor - feedback welcome - bonzo dog

Hyundai Accent petrol, if you can find one. Economical, reliable, roomy & comfortable enough for long journeys. Well specced (air con essential for long journeys).

I can't remember exactly when their 5 year warranty was introduced but you might be able to find one with some residual manufacturer's warranty remaining.

Cheap enough to buy, although they now seem to be holding prices due to their scarcity. I get the impression that once you buy one, you run it into the ground. Wish I'd done that with the one we bought 9 & 1/2 years ago instead of selling it to a friend 3 years ago.

Good luck

Looking for a new motor - feedback welcome - injection doc

Fiesta TDCi consider 1.6tdci, totally different animal to the noisey slow 1.4. We had a 1.4 from new and it was 100% reliable and economical but noisey on a motorway but then bought 1.6tdci new 3 years ago. Really gutsey motor, exceedling quiet for a diesel and more economical than the 1.4. Now its done 19k it returning 64-65 average. You can touch 70+mpg if you really drive like a nun. 53ish if you squirt it around everywhere.

Comfortable car & we too use for very short runs & then very long runs to visit parents. 4 adults on a motorway does not slow it down at all even on the hills if any thing its almost over tourqued.

Road tax still £30 a year & ins is next to nothing ! we pay about £140 fully comp

Looking for a new motor - feedback welcome - madf

We have two Yaris in family.

The rear seats fold flat - easily.

If unsure about space, take family plus pushchair to dealer and try it out... (A recommendation for all your choices!).

Yaris are very easy to enter/exit... unless you buy a 3 door where rear entance is err best for the more agile...

Looking for a new motor - feedback welcome - turbo11

Mazda 3 ?, although I am not sure what you would get for your budget. Very reliable, comfortable and our Mclaren pushchair easily fits in sideways in the boot of my wifes Mazda 3.

Looking for a new motor - feedback welcome - Sam49

Agree with above - Japanese mid size cars.

Mazda 3 are good. You could go for a Mazda 323F if it is stretching your budget

Toyota Corolla - your budget would get you a decent 53 - 04 one. Spacious, safe, solid, not very cool, cheap to run, plenty of these are well looked after with good history. Some occaisional stories of high oil consumption on very early models? But overall a very reliable choice - my parents have a 52 reg 1.6 VVTi estate - absolute workhorse, over 100,000 miles, rate it better than all the Volvo estates they used to have.

Nissan Almera - budget would get you an end of line model with all the kit including sat nav. My X reg (now up to 110,000mile) 1.8 Sport has been very, very reliable, is good round town but even better on long trips (see owners reviews). Again, not cool and plenty of low mileage, well looked after ones.

Looking for a new motor - feedback welcome - Avant

I really wouldn't go for a diesel if I were you: at the age and price you're looking at the risk of expensive failure is too great - with the possible exception of the VW/Skoda 1.9 TDI.

So your best bets could be any of:

Corolla or Almera as suggested by Sam above

Old-shape Honda Civic 1.6 petrol

Ford Focus

Skoda Fabia (go for the old-shape with the 1.4 100 bhp engine)

Or the Jazz 1.4 as you suggest - a very good car but it's quite low-geared and frenetic on the motorway.

Looking for a new motor - feedback welcome - LikedDrivingOnce

A suggestion out of left-field (as the Americans say), but have you considered a Suzuki Ignis? Japanese reliability, and a good package for space and practicality.

So many choices and advice you'l end up with a Lada :)

Thanks all for the advice, lots to consider but looks like Japanese petrol will be the way to go. That said I've come across an 04 plate Mitsubishi Carisma 1.9 D-ID with 55k miles which looks good on paper but again am a bit paranoid about pricey diesel failures.
Looking for a new motor - feedback welcome - Sam49

One of those cars where I suspect the ability far exceeds the popular perception. I like the look of them, especially the later shape ones in dark grey.

Not sure about reliability, I would be surprised if it was bad. You could ask around on the "unofficial" mitsubishi forum . The few reader reviews of the diesel on other sites (parkers, reviewcentre - am I allowed to mention them?!) are nearly unanimously positive.

For something a bit (but not much) more modern have a look at a 2005-07 Lancer. The estates are (I think) great looking and very cheap. 1.6 or 2.0. Suspect 1.6 would be far cheaper to run and, as I understand it, these really are bombproof.

As I said before good cars underrated and the diesels are good also.