Volvo V70 / Saab 9-5 estate - What estate for under £3k? - paulm77

Hello,

This forum is amazing - such a great source of experience. So now I'd like to tap into it a bit further.

I currently have a 2000 Volvo V70 2.5D. I really like the handling, the power and the relative economy. But it's got 250k on the clock and I can't really afford for anything major to fail.

So it's time to think about possible replacements. The criteria:

- Capacity. Got to be an estate, so that's that.

- Hills: I live in a very hilly area, so the torque of a diesel is really useful. But I don't tow anything and only do 10k miles a year (mostly local runs up to 25 miles, and an occasional motorway slog), so maybe the relative fuel economy bonus of a diesel isn't so important.

- Good seats. I'm tall and my back suffers poor support. I've had Saabs and this Volvo, both of which have perfect seats.

- Budget: under £3k really.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Volvo V70 / Saab 9-5 estate - What estate for under £3k? - bonzo dog

Hi Paul, I thought of the 9-5 a few years ago when I had the option of this or the Vectra Est. I went for the Vectra as it is much much bigger than the SAAB in the rear plus the interior room is bigger too. Given the engines are the same (to my knowledge) I think I made the right choice.

I'm 6' & found it very comfortable especially as I regularly do 300 miles in a day & drive to France each year

There are quite a few available on Autotrader in your budget

Good luck

Volvo V70 / Saab 9-5 estate - What estate for under £3k? - Dutchie

Hello Paul,just thinking I would keep the Volvo if the car is running fine and it looks like you take care of it.

Volvo V70 / Saab 9-5 estate - What estate for under £3k? - Paul G1pdc

HI PAUL. i'd have thought for your budget i'd look for both and view a couple of each then buy the best you've seen.

when we go car hunting we always have a list of 2/3 models and buy the best of what we can find. on a lower budget i find we can't always buy exactly what we planned.

.his v40 phase1 - 91k

hers v40 phase2 - 30k

we actually drove from North Oxfordshire to Bournemouth to buy my wifes volvo...mad yes, but a one own car with fully stamped up yearly dealer services dragged us away to the coast,,,and the kids loved a day at the beach.....grin......