C180K - Mercedes Benz - Unscrupulous service - rajivk

I have just had my car serviced by an approved MB service centre. The car came back with a noise which was never there before and the dealer is stating that the noise was there from before. However they never mentioned it to me during the service or in the advisory notes afterwards.

The dealer also insisted on replacing spark plugs which didnt need replacing and told me that they would not stamp the service booklet unless I agreed which I reluctantly was forced to agree to.

Could you please advise on the legalities of the way the dealer behaved with me on both of the above?

Edited by rajivk on 17/10/2010 at 13:37

C180K - Mercedes Benz - Unscrupulous service - LucyBC

If there were misfire codes registering then it does not matter if spark plug replacement is not on the service schedule for the mileage - they have to be replaced and if they are not I believe he cannot stamp the book and then you don't have a full Mercedes service history.

If they find a fault they have to fix it. They may have saved you money down the line and given you a more comfortable ownership - which is why you have to pay them a great deal of money to pamper your vehicle.

Noises are always irritating but they can be notoriously difficult to diagnose.

Given the circumstances I think the "unscrupulous" tag is a bit strong.

The legal situation depends on how old the car is, when you bought it etc. none of which you have told us.

These things are always better resolved by cooperation. They want you to enjoy your car and come back to them.

So talk to the dealer and see if they can find the noise for you but I expect you will get a great deal further with them if you do not accuse them of being unscrupulous in the matter of the spark plugs

C180K - Mercedes Benz - Unscrupulous service - bathtub tom

>>insisted on replacing spark plugs which didnt need replacing

Why do you say they didn't need replacing?

If they're a service item for that particular service on account of mileage or age, whichever comes first, then the dealer's perfectly entitled to insist on changing them if you want the service book stamped - and I say that as someone who's not enamoured of dealers!

C180K - Mercedes Benz - Unscrupulous service - Dutchie

Get back to us rajvk i believe you car has done thirty thousand miles.

Get back to us rajvk i believe you car has done thirty thousand miles.

That is indeed correct 30207 miles. The spark plugs were replaced at the previous service and there are no misfire readings. What really annoyed me was their insistence of getting the plugs fitted despite me pointing out that they were done as part of the last service. They were just after a bit of extra money hence the unscrupulous tag.

As for the engine noise - they say the noise was always there in the first place which is not true. They never told me about it during the service or in the advise afterwards. I want to know where I stand legally with them on both counts.

I really want the problem to be fixed and am amicable to them to an extent but only when they are being reasonable. I cannot accept that they are just pulling wool over my eyes by now claiming that the the fuel pump is faulty and that will cost be about 400 pounds to fix.

Lucy - No misfire codes have been registered. They only said that they need to be replaced because according to them they were not replaced at the last service. I spoke to them again today and it appears that they are now saying they overlooked the fact that they had been replaced last time and have asked me to fax through the service book.

The car is a 2006 model C180K with around 30000 miles on the clock. It has full service history with services at 10000 miles each time (ie a Service A followed by B and followed now by A). I have kept the car in mint condition.

Thanks

C180K - Mercedes Benz - Unscrupulous service - LucyBC
If they were replaced at the previous service they should refund the costs for replacement in full and apologise profusely.

The noise may be more difficult but the mess-up with the plugs may give you more bargaining power - their being on the back foot so may well agree to sort it.

Thanks to all the people who posted their comments. I did take the car back and they did accept the noise was to do with the faulty fuel filter they had put in. They also refunded the cost towards the spark plugs and admitted they had made an error. I was offered a full apology and they have done the MoT free of cost. Good outcome overall.