all makes - Antifreeze- Blue vs Orange/Red - Robin the Technician

Here is a statement about antfreeze from one of the UK's largest suppliers.

Antifreeze / coolant used to be simple, you tested the fluid with a hydrometer & if the reading showed too little Antifreeze / coolant you topped up or replaced the fluid.

There was one grade of antifreeze / coolant, manufactured to BS6580 (1992) and it was Blue.

Now the majority of modern engines are designed to use a specific grade of antifreeze / coolant and the one thing you can guarantee is that modern vehicles will not have BS6580 as the specified product. BS 6580 is now a minimum quality standard for antifreeze / coolant that has been largely replaced by vehicle specific grades such as:

Audi TL774-D, Ford WSS-M97B44-D, ISUZU, Renault D, Jaguar WSS-M97B44-D, MB 325.3, SAAB 6901 599, Seat TL774-D, Skoda 61-0-0257, Vauxhall QL 130100 and Volkswagen TL774-D.

Most cars since 2,000 have specified Organic Acid Technology (OAT) based Antifreeze / coolant, commonly red in colour and with a 5 year life. Recently most HGV’s have also moved over to OAT. Yet sales of Blue BS 6580 antifreeze / coolant are still 75-80 % of the independent aftermarket, with sales of OAT based Antifreeze / coolant 15-20%.

Is this due to price? It’s true that OAT Antifreeze / coolant is on average 15%-20% more expensive but with at least twice the lifespan, overall it works out excellent value to the consumer.

Or is it Education, how many people are aware that by topping up red antifreeze / coolant with blue they will reduce the lifespan of the red from 5 years to 1-2 years. It will also reduce the efficacy of the inhibitor package significantly. While we wouldn’t fill an engine specified for synthetic oil with Mineral we don’t take Antifreeze / coolant as seriously?

In a modern engine the cooling system works incredibly hard it contains less fluid than a decade ago and works at higher pressures. Tolerances are much finer & as little as 0.6mm of scale can reduce heat transfer by 40% often leading to overheating of the engine.

The design of a modern engine relies on the high performance inhibitor package in an OAT based antifreeze / coolant to keep the system clear of scale sludge and gelling, while maintaining the PH balance of the solution. A hydrometer will tell you if the freeze protection for the Antifreeze / coolant is in specification but it cannot measure the efficacy of the inhibitor package.

Replacement of Antifreeze / coolant to the manufacturers schedule is essential for corrosion protection and the longevity of the engine.

As the service life of most OAT antifreeze / coolant is 5 years, replacement for most vehicles will be in the independent sector, this represents an opportunity to offer a premium service to the customer.

More importantly are we missing an opportunity to upsell, would a consumer object to paying a little more for the correct grade of coolant and all the benefits it offers?

With a change of coolant charged at £40~£80 checking when it was last changed could be time well spent.

all makes - Antifreeze- Blue vs Orange/Red - Dutchie

That took some writing Robin,i would think changing antifreeze every two to three years makes sense.

all makes - Antifreeze- Blue vs Orange/Red - Robin the Technician
I can't take any praise for this- it was given to us as we now sell the stuff in bulk to our distributors. I thought I'd put it on here for all to see as it's so informative - and it's from the actual manufacturer - can't argue with that!!!

Glad you found it useful

Robin the Technician
all makes - Antifreeze- Blue vs Orange/Red - jc2

Ford quote TEN years on their OAT anti-freeze.

all makes - Antifreeze- Blue vs Orange/Red - madf

As do Toyota from c AD2000.

My car's coolant is due to be changed in 2013..

all makes - Antifreeze- Blue vs Orange/Red - John F

.......,i would think changing antifreeze every two to three years makes sense.

I think that advice is not only nonsense, but could also be deleterious. See my argument why in another recent zombie thread.

all makes - Antifreeze- Blue vs Orange/Red - Uncle Stoatwarbler
Zombie thread resurrection

Ten years on (2021) and the situation is even worse

- There's a plethora of colours on the market (different makers use different colors - it's NOT standardised)

- a very real risk of gelling your coolant if you mix the wrong types

- or damaging water pump seals if you use the wrong coolants (Japanese cars are particularly susceptable to this)

- or wrecking radiator cores/engines if you use "other" wrong coolants

- BS6580 is still promoted as the "the gold standard" by most autoparts suppliers despite having been withdrawn nearly a decade ago

- Virtually NO supplier provides material data safety sheets or states what their "colour" coolant actually contains (ie: is it low/high phosphate, low/high silicate, glycerin-based, which kind of glycol, etc etc etc)

all makes - Antifreeze- Blue vs Orange/Red - madf

I don't care. I just follow the maker's recommendation and change OAT every 10 years using the maker's own brand.

Yes it costs more but as it is 10 years....

Our 2003 Yaris coolant looks as it did when new. Ditto 9 year old Jazz.

(both Japanese)

all makes - Antifreeze- Blue vs Orange/Red - edlithgow

Difficult to find anything like that out here. No one will know or care, and the packaging is all in Chinese.

I used to use some local green stuff. Lot of rust.

Now I use some Shell green stuff. Lot of rust, but maybe not quite so much.

Im prepared to believe its important though, potentially MUCH more important than synthetic v mineral engine oil,