Driving into central London on a Sunday - johnny

How easy is it to drive into London on a Sunday and is it possible to park all day (relatively) cheaply and securely? Coming from Southampton, btw and would be making an early start to arrive 9-ish. It's over £90 for a family of four on the train, £80 if I buy a railcard.

Cheers

Driving into central London on a Sunday - Avant

I'd certainly drive from So'ton on a Sunday: no congestion charge and most street parking should be free (though check carefully what it says on the pay-machines). Underground car parks may still charge, so security may come at a price, and I'm not sure what evidence there is that they're any more secure.

M3 and keep going (becomes A316 and then A4 after the Hogarth roundabout in Chiswick).

Driving into central London on a Sunday - johnny

Thanks. I'm sure I saw an all day for a fiver car park somewhere by the Thames a few years ago when we got a water bus from South Bank to Greenwich.

I don't do London much despite it being less than a couple of hours away, but would like to visit Tate Modern, some of the Sunday markets and generally see the sights with family.

Can you actually park free on the streets? In Southampton they're pretty keen to charge for parking seven days a week.

Driving into central London on a Sunday - seasiders rock

As suggested, check and check again on free parking on a Sunday.

Camden are just one who enforce on a Sunday, ie Camden Loch and Market area.

They take no prisoners, ie. wheels outside bay, clamping and tow away are all available.

Only talking about this the other night with a friend in the mini cab game, free parking is still available on Hampstead Lane, and the Bishops Ave, N6, N2.

Edited by seasiders rock on 07/10/2010 at 07:47

Driving into central London on a Sunday - rcspeirs

It won't cost over £90 by train. The "Groupsave" ticket lets four adults travel together for £63, valid on any train at weekends. No need to book in advance or buy a railcard.

Parking regs in London vary from borough to borough and even from street to street. There are places where you can park for free but general advice is useless as there are so many variations.