Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LX - Voyager 3.3LX starting problem, no spark at plug - Carbitthedust

I have a 1999 which I have owned for 7yrs+. 12 months ago I started to have an intermittent starting problem which has gradually got worse. The car will start first time for weeks but then sometimes takes about 40+ turns of the key before it fires. When this happens there is no spark at the plugs (lately it has got so bad that sometimes the battery will go flat and I have to jump start it). The crank case sensor, plugs and leads have all been changed and had no effect. Last week an auto electrician examined the car and said he thought it was the ECU, only problem is that the ECU is part no. PO4727158AJ and I am told that this particular ECU cannot be test. Although I have sourced an exact replacement part no. I am told that Chrysler can charge £1000 to reprogramme one of these (I'm waiting for a call from Chrysler to confirm this). As the problem is so intermittent I am not convinced that it is a faulty ECU. It is not worth spending £1200 + as the car is not worth much more, although it does look and run great. Can anyone help please?

Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LX - Voyager 3.3LX starting problem, no spark at plug - Peter D

This this vehicle got an immobiliser, have you tried the spare keys. When the car starts after a period of not starting does it burst into life as though nothing is wrong. Regards Peter

Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LX - Voyager 3.3LX starting problem, no spark at plug - Carbitthedust

Hi Peter, I have tried the spare key and the same thing happens. All the dash lights and instruments work correctly. When the car does start it is perfect. Problem seems worse when the engine is cold. I have got a small blow in the rear exhaust manifold which sounds worse when the engine is cold (i think the crack must seal slightly as the manifold expands), wondered if that could have an effect.

Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LX - Voyager 3.3LX starting problem, no spark at plug - Peter D

So you have no spark and no fuel being injected. Do you have an immobiliser light on the dash. Regards Peter

Definitely no spark but haven't checked whether there is fuel getting through. Car is at my local garage now so will ask them to check the fuel. The flashing immobiliser light on the dash goes out when the ignition is turned on.

I've located a second-hand ECU with the same part no. (£170) and Chrysler in Stoke say they can program it for £90 but cannot guarantee it will work! So if it doesn't work then I will be non the wiser as to whether it is the ECU reprogramming which didn't work, or the original failt not cured. Appreciate your time and help Peter. Cheers Steve.

By saying that when the car does start after much cranking it runs persfectly alreadt tell you that fuel has not been getting in or it would be flooded and start up really roughly, cough splutter, pop, pop, splut. Regards Peter

So you think that as well as no spark the fuel is also cut-off? Do they work in sync. with each other, therefore, no spark = no fuel?

In your case yes. Regards Peter

There is usually a power control relay that enable the +12 v feed for the injectors, ignition system and other ancillaries. This relay is contolled by ignition/ECU whilst the actual pulses ( grounding signals ) go diectly fro the ECU to the injectors etc timed by the crank/cam sensors to establish the timing. I hope the garage can induce the faulty condition dto identify the fault. Regards Peter

Decided to bite the bullit and take the car to my local Chysler dealer. They said they can test the ECU for fault codes (Cost £50ish). Failing all else it looks like trying the second-hand ECU and have it re-programed. Will post the outcome a.s.a.p. Thanks for your help. Steve

Two garages looked at the problem and could not solve it. Ended up selling the car on EBAY. I was completely honest about all the problems (and there was a long list of them), a Polish chap bought it and was pleased to bits. I contacted him a few weeks later and he said the car was running lovely and had passed its MOT no problem. He changed the engine relay (£120) and the car fired-up first time. He also changed the LPG filter and it ran fine on the gas. If only I had known....

Hope this may help someone!

But I told you " power control relay" Regards Peter