Vauxhall Corsa B - Corsa B 1.0 fails to start after stall - ec2007

Hi all,

Have got a 2000 1L Corsa B that seems to have a few problems. On its MOT It just passed the fast idle CO test (1st test fail - 0.36 2nd pass - 0.30). When idling the engine sounds rough, as though its about to stall but never actually does.

The car has been stalled a couple of times within a mile or two of starting and both times the engine has failed to start for about 10 mins. I'm happy the battery and starter are good as it cranks strongly - just doesn't catch. The first time I thought the engine might have flooded but the exhaust didn't smoke at all when it eventually started. When trying to start occasionally it catches and then dies a few seconds after the key is released. The car starts up fine both when its been sitting unused for a couple of days or has been driven for 20 mins. The check engine light is not illuminated when driving.

Does anyone have any idea what's up or where to start?

Thanks
Ewan

Vauxhall Corsa B - Corsa B 1.0 fails to start after stall - 1litregolfeater

Faulty lambda sensor seems most probable to me, but that wouln't stop it starting. Could be an injector or the MAF, the coolant temperature sensor, or (I'm not sure about this; an exhaust leak?).

The EGR valve normally needs cleaning after 60,000.

Don't forget you may have multiple issues where one thing has led to another, or the non-start may be completely unrelated to the the stalling or the poor CO test.

I'd try and make friends with someone with diagnostic equipment, get one from a well-known internet auction site, or even take it to a garage, that's the first step, as otherwise you might end up replacing good parts and getting nowhere.