MG TF - MG TF Engine Warning Light On - Sparko89

Hi,

I have a 2002 MG TF 1.6L and on the way back from a holiday to Cornwall (approx 650 miles travelled over 5 days) I filled up the car at an ESSO petrol station. As I pulled off my engine warning light came on. All the oil/coolant/etc levels were fine and so was the coolant and oil temperatures for the whole journey. The car is driving fine and not misfiring etc.

I rechecked all the levels the next morning and looked for anything obvious and could not find anything. I also disconnected the battery (for about 30 seconds) to try and reset the system but only succeeded in erasing the memory on the radio.

Do I need to disconnect the battery for longer? Is the fault related to the long drive (such as something dislodged and blocking a sensor)? Is this a common fault?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you

MG TF - MG TF Engine Warning Light On - 1litregolfeater

Is the problem that the engine warning light is now permanently illuminated? You need to get it plugged into a diagnostic program then.

Can't be anything major if you're still driving it.

MG TF - MG TF Engine Warning Light On - injection doc

I suspect it may throw up fault code 1522, this relates to cam sensor error but you will need to have a diagnostic check first as there are many possibilities!

Have you ever had a head gasket replacement ? this can be related to the above code & there is a technical fix

Have a fault code read & progress from there.