VW Polo 1.4 16v - 2001 VW Polo - Vibration through steering wheel - Problem_Polo :-/

Hi Chaps ( & ladies?!)

I have an issue with my newly-bought used Polo, any advice would be much appreciated. Beginning at speeds between 40 - 50mph, a heavy vibration starts through the steering wheel, becoming worse as you go up past 60 and onwards. I've had the front wheels balanced to no avail. I hadn't bothered to have the rears done as the movement is very definately coming through the steering, but is this likely to help? The car had an engine rebuild immediately before I acquired it, I wonder if incorrect reassembly or bad workmanship might have caused any problems? Cheers Guys.

VW Polo 1.4 16v - 2001 VW Polo - Vibration through steering wheel - Peter.N.

If you are absolubtly certain that the wheels are balanced properly, you probably have a defective tyre, ply seperation causing tyre distortion. Try swapping the front and rear wheels.

VW Polo 1.4 16v - 2001 VW Polo - Vibration through steering wheel - Problem_Polo :-/

Thanks, I'll give that a go. The 'tech did mention that the inner edge of one the front tyres was beginning to crack, but he thought there was still a fair bit of life left in it. Would a serious defect not have been apparent when the balancing was done tho? I would make the usual jokes as it was done at Kwik Fit, but I hear they're much improved thse days! :-o

Cheers.

VW Polo 1.4 16v - 2001 VW Polo - Vibration through steering wheel - Dutchie

Yes a serious defect would have been noticed like the op is saying have the wheels balanced and i would buy new tyres two at the front .I have used kwikfit in the past they are ok this neck of the woods yorkshire.Stop with the car when they do the work if they allow it.