Vauxhall Signum - Alternator failure?? - Xantiaman

Jan '07 Signum 1.9tdi (120) with 58k miles

Coming home I stopped at a shop having driven 20+ miles. When I restarted the car a metallic rattle came from the engine bay before it fired and the alternator light came on. Some 5 miles later the heater controls pack in and just before I got home the electric power steering fails, also abs lights flashes occasionally.

From what I've read this is most likely a failed alternator. Would you agree?

Assuming this is correct what is the cheapest way of getting this fixed? Fitting it myself or getting a friend to do it is not an option.

Your help appreciated

Vauxhall Signum - Alternator failure?? - Peter D

Did you not stop and lift the bonnet. Has the Aux drive belt broken or been thrown off. Regards Peter

Vauxhall Signum - Alternator failure?? - Xantiaman

Did you not stop and lift the bonnet. Has the Aux drive belt broken or been thrown off. Regards Peter

Only belt I saw was to the left of the engine as you face it. This was intact and turning, no funny noises from the pulleys

Edited by Xantiaman on 02/09/2010 at 21:30

Vauxhall Signum - Alternator failure?? - topbloke

assuming that this is a z19 dt/dth engine the alternators are failing for fun at the moment changed two last week but i have also seen the torsional damper fall apart and yet leave the belt still working but with loss of tension basically it needs checking,Regards TB