Right to call the police. - Tommk4

Today whilst on my way up the M69 I spotted a group of kids (about 10-15 years old) standing on the hard sholder, as i got closer one of them began to try to cross in front of me, luckily he soon realised that he would not make it and stopped before he left the hard shoulder. Although I didnt have to take any evasive action, I very nearly did.

I was obviously worried for the safety of the kids and other motorists so I pulled on the the hard shoulder and dialled 999, reported what was going on and then set off again. By the time I had safely slowed down and pulled off, the kids were miles back so I couldn't confront them personally.

I might have called 112 but I forgot that number existed until much later. Would kids trying to cross a motorway be considered an emergency? I felt like a bit of a busy body calling the police to be honest but felt that these kids were in serious danger. I've just been wondering since, did I do the right thing?

Edited by Tommk4 on 30/08/2010 at 23:45

Right to call the police. - Dwight Van Driver

Yes

dvd

Right to call the police. - Westpig

Yes, definitely.

Imagine how you'd feel if you hadn't, then noticed later there'd been a fatality. You'd no doubt be thinking 'what if', albeit in reality it would have had little to do with you.

If the Police keep getting those sorts of calls i.e. it's a problem there, then steps can be taken to see why and try to prevent it.

The other angle is, the kids may have been running away from something and that tip might have a police control room know where they are at that time.

Right to call the police. - Armstrong Sid

I think you were right to do what you did, but I'd be wondering what the kids were doing there and which category do they fall into.

Were they the sort who hang around on bridges and look as though they are thinking abut throwing things off?; they definitely need dealing with. Had they strayed on to the road without knowing where they were and just got lost (unlikely i know), or maybe they just trying for a short cut home? Were they playing daredevils and running around near the carriageway for a "game"?

I'd guess the problem for the police is that when they arrive, the kids will just turn round and run off up the embankment and disappear into the undergrowth. Almost impossible to catch unless the police have a lot of manpower and helicopters/dogs; and then you have to wonder if it's all worth it

Edited by Armstrong Sid on 31/08/2010 at 09:21

Right to call the police. - Bilboman

Absolutely the right thing to do. I've called the police before now for things like that. Even a piece of fallen debris is worth calling in as another motorist might hit it (or swerve to avoid it) even if you haven't. An innocuous cardboard box (which initially looks like a large heavy object) can cause chaos, and those buckled lashing straps which (literally)seem to fall off the back of a lorry quite regularly can get caught in a wheel and fly up into the path of another vehicle.

Good call.

Right to call the police. - Armstrong Sid
get caught in a wheel and fly up into the path of another vehicle

Many years ago I was driving several car lengths behind a motor bike which had one of those parcel box-things on the back. The lid of the box fell off and landed in the road. Cars immediately behind it all ducked and dived to avoid the lid in the road. Eventually someone clipped it with their wheel; it spun up in the air like a frisbee and landed on my windscreen. Fortunately nothing more than a crack in the corner.

I wouldn't like to have a repeat of that on a motorway

Right to call the police? - Tommk4
Thanks for your comments, I'm glad you all seem to think I did the right thing.

Just to answer your queries about why they were there...I did not get the impression that they were a bunch of herberts who had gone there to cause trouble by throwing things or playing "chicken" etc. I think they just innocently wanted to cross the motorway and didn't realise just how dangerous it would be to do so, or that to do so is illegal.
Right to call the police. - a900ss

Yes - this is a clear threat to life. The main reason that 999 is used.

Right to call the police. - Paul G1pdc

I've called the police twice in the last 2 years....or rather my wife has...(passenger)

first time...a racing bike was in lane 3 (fast lane) of the M40.....3 miles further up the motorway was a mondeo with a bike rack and yep....no bike....

second time...earlier this year.....a cow walking up the hard shoulder of a duel carriageway just outside Bournemouth the operator didn't belive what she heard and asked my wife to repeat all the details. including ours.....but if that future Hamburger fancied the grass on the other side of the road....my god what a mess....seriously though imagine hitting a fully grown heffa......

years ago before getting a mobile we also reported a chap in montego (shows how long ago that was.) chap was weaving between lanes 1 and 2 on the M40 on new years day...must have been sloshed. rang the police and gave details when we got home, police said we should have stopped and used an emergency phone, as the car was registered to a company so they couldn't go to the drivers house...

Right to call the police. - Ben 10

Yes you did the right thing

I've done the same thing a few times on the London end of the M4. Problem is when you dial 999 and you are connected to the Met, to tend to be placed in a queue. Which if you are driving can be a hindrance to hang on. On one occasion I held up, on another I saw a biff. Asked to be put through to Police. In a queue. Redialled and asked for ambulance. On hold. They called ME back almost 20 minutes later when I had already been put through to Fire Brigade. I was put through to their operator immediately. Just so that some first aid could be sent, and if needed other equipment.

Right to call the police. - Tommk4

@ ben10 So if you call the police in London you get put on hold in a queue?! I never knew that, thats insane!

Right to call the police. - bathtub tom

999 and 112 are both routed identically. It makes no difference whichever one you ring.

Right to call the police. - Dutchie

London is that big,and how many 999 calls are made which aren't a emergency?I dont know maybe somebody could tel us.

Right to call the police. - martint123

When things like this have happened to me on motorways, I've always used the roadside phones rather than a mobile as (a) you get thorugh to someone who knows exactly where you are and (b) (I hope) are traffic cops/handlers who know what to do instantly.

Right to call the police. - the_bandit

I think it's right to phone the 999 for this one but I wouldn't stop and use a roadside phone just because of the potentially dangerous position you are putting yourself in. How many stories do we read about another vehicle ploughing into a car parked on the hard shoulder?

The hard shoulder of a motorway is not a place I would choose to put myself in and would always make the call using my mobile (handsfree of course!) or take the next available exit to enable to pull over and report.