Nissan Almera - Nissan Almera 2.2 diesel problems - realdealnorm

I have a 2000 (X) Nissan Almera 2.2SE diesel. All been fine until roday on the way to work. I had a battery warning light appear on the dash. No unusual noises, no other lights. As I wasn't too far away I carried on with caution. By the time I got there it was obvious the turbo wasn't working as it was very slow and sluggish. The temperature had rocketed up too. Again the only light on the dash is the battery and no odd noises. The car is in average condition and has done over 117,000miles. Any suggestions? Think the AA might be taking me home as I don't fancy driving home in this condition at 2200 tonight!

Further updaye, since finding the manual in the glovebox it pointed me towards the battery/alternator with that warning light and the belt driving the alternator has gone! So I will be calling the AA man to get me home in the dark. Does anyone know what else tis belt drives? I am a little concerned that the engine got very hot and the turbo was not kicking in.

Nissan Almera - Nissan Almera 2.2 diesel problems - madf

Probably the water pump..

Maybe the power sterring...

Nissan Almera - Nissan Almera 2.2 diesel problems - bathtub tom

Probably the water pump. With no water circulating the engine will overheat and the temperature gauge will rise. Eventually it will get so tight, it will start to seize and feel down on power, almost as if the turbo isn't working!

Nissan Almera - Nissan Almera 2.2 diesel problems - dieselnut

Was thinking on the lines of ECU detected the overheating condition & put the engine into limp home mode.

Hope it didn't overheat too much.

How far did you drive with the Battery light on.

Were you moving or stuck in traffic.

Moment of truth will be after the belt is renewed.

Thanks for the replies. Was moving at a steady 50mph, weather was cold and rainy was not in traffic thankfully. Was probably 10 miles at the most. I think it may drive the water pump too. I also think you may be right that it went into a limp mode. Engine was not tight at all, just lacking in power. Revs were slow and steady just took forever to get anywhere.