Vauxhall Meriva - Mis Sold Car optional extra - vkprkpapp

I recently purchased a second hand mervia from my local vauxhall dealer and use thier website technical spec to make up up mind as it stated the car had a Trip Computer and electric Heated mirrors.

When I went to collect the car the sale person went thorough the controls and I asked him to explain how to activate the Trip Computer and he told me that he did not know but that I could read through the manual and it would explain all.

When I read through it was clear that this was an optional extra that had not be fiited to my vehicle even though it was advertised as such on thier website.

When I questioned the saleperson he informed me that there is a small print on thier website that states

"The information contained in this site may contain technical inaccuracies or typographical errors. All liability of (the dealer) howsoever arising for any such inaccuracies or errors is expressly excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. "

And so the dealer refuses to do anything about it and states that If I want to take it to court I could do so but I will lose because of thier small print.

However I did ask the saleperson at the time so not sure how they can refuse to do something about it.

The Saleperson informed me that the problem is down to him and that he is responsible for the problem and any claim will have to directly out of his pocket as the dealer refuses to get involve.

I tried CLS Direct, Consumer Direct and Trading standard and all of they say there is nothing they can do.

Surely a large franchise dealer can not simply wash their hand of this.

If there is anyone out there that can help then I would be very grateful for any pointers

Edited by Avant on 28/08/2010 at 23:19

Vauxhall Meriva - Mis Sold Car opiontal extra - WellKnownSid

Moved to legal matters - you'll get more help here

Vauxhall Meriva - Mis Sold Car opiontal extra - Dutchie

Iam not a laywer but i think unfortunately there is not much you can do.It looks like you have gone to various people for advice.You have named the franchise so people take note.Have a word with the salesmanager ,tell him you are upset if they want you back as a future customer to give you a goodwill payment or free service.I dont think they will change the car to the one you want which they should do,the salesperson has not being honest with you or you misunderstood each other.

Vauxhall Meriva - Mis Sold Car opiontal extra - bonzo dog

Hi VK, It may be that the dealer has a defence by stating that inaccuracioes may be present on the website but if you asked the question at the dealership then IMO the car was supplied not as described.

As to the salesman saying it is his problem, this is completely untrue; he is just trying to get you off their backs by asking for your sympathy.

I'm a bit puzzled as to what Trading Standards said to you?

Vauxhall Meriva - Mis Sold Car opiontal extra - vkprkpapp

Trading standard informed me that i need to contact consume direct.

I want to take it further and contact thier head office however the sale person has have very good to use about sorting out alot of minors issues with the car and I do not want to get him into trouble, however I worried that if I take it further then I could completely lose out and teh sale person refuse to offer any compensation.

When I purchased the car I was in 2 minds whether to purchase a similar model from motorpoint or a car dealer but the sale person informed me that I would be much better offer dealing direct with a car dealer.

However there was no written record of our conversion and therefore it his word againt my and my wife so not sure whether to accept the sale person small compensation or try and take it further.

Vauxhall Meriva - Mis Sold Car opiontal extra - Armitage Shanks {p}
Having an interest in matters legal but not being qualified I would suggest that the salesperson should have known how to adjust/control the fuel computer. By telling you to read the handbook there is an implication that the device is fitted to the car, so far as he is concerned.

I suggest you negotiate for a reduction reflecting the price of the computer or try for a first service free.
Vauxhall Meriva - Mis Sold Car opiontal extra - bonzo dog

"Trading standard informed me that i need to contact consume direct" - OK, so what did Consumer Direct have to say?

www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/making-com.../

Vauxhall Meriva - Mis Sold Car opiontal extra - vkprkpapp

consume direc t inform me that I made a contract with the dealer and not the saleperson and therefore they are liable under the sale of goods act 1979. However it is up to me to find out how much the difference between a car with a trip computer and one without withe the same spec. How is thios possible as all dealer have theier margins and so I am going to find it out.

I tried googling cost of trip computer without any luck.

I do not want to waste more moeny trying to purse the case through the small cliams court but what other option do I have?

Small Claims Court is cheap and if you win the other side pays your costs. If you are confident of your position and want recompense this is the way to go

Vauxhall Meriva - Mis Sold Car opiontal extra - dieselnut

The difference in value of a used car with or without a trip computer will be minimal if anything at all.

I would suggest your best bet is to go to the salesperson & explain how important this trip computer is & see if he/she is willing to swap your car for the one you want when one is available.

Presume you are now a new owner on the V5 so they will probably not be that keen without more cash from you.

Perhaps you can get a newer model & so get some advantage for you extra outlay.