Hyundai i10 1.2 comfort - Starting problems on my new car - iten

My i10 is beginning to give me starting problems, intermittently. It’s a March 2010 model and only 600 miles on the clock. I mainly do short runs but have taken it on a 40 miles long run at varying speeds to give it a boost, so to speak. Still had difficulty starting this morning as it cranked for a while before starting. This has happened about 4 times in the past two weeks. Have switched to the spare car key for ellimination purposes, but without luck.

Have taken the car to the dealer and they say the battery is OK and at 14.2volts. They say, if the problem persists bring it back for another check. This sounds like a nightmare scenario. Its sad that I have to go through this with a new car. What are my options to resolve this problem quickly with my new car without being caught up in this vicious cycle of "back and forth" to the dealer.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Hyundai i10 1.2 comfort - Starting problems on my new car - 19ja43

Hello - we have a similar Hyundai (i10 ES), and experienced several instances of difficult starting. It happened on an irregular basis - when switching the ignition on, I noticed that the security symbol wasn't illuminated. Removing the ignition key, re-inserting it, and then switching on generally resulted in the security symbol appearing, and the engine firing up.

I mentioned this to the dealer at the first service, and he re-coded the key. Since then we've had no problems.

You are spot on 19ja43 .

I did notice the security symbol flashed on few times and that is when the starting problem occured. By removing the ignition key and re -inserting it , as you say, does help. Since then I have taken the car to the dealer where I bought the car from. They have changed the "coil antenna" near the ignition key area and this seems to have solved the problem, fingures crossed XX. It seems the key code was not being read properly by the receiver.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Hyundai i10 1.2 comfort - Starting problems on my new car - galileo

Your post says you have only done 600 miles in 5 months, or about 30 miles a week. Such low usage will mean your 12 monthly services will still be needed to change oil even though nowhere near the due mileage.

I take it your circumstances mean you really needed to buy a new car and using taxis was not an option?

It sounds as if your dealer was doing his best to find and fix your intermittent fault, has he succeeded and did he explain the detailed cause?

Thanks for your response galileo.

I was tempted by the scrappage scheme and this car was real value for money car. I do use it fairly regularly for short runs, so taxis are not an option. The problem has been fixed by the dealer, hopefully for good. See my response to 19ja43.

"You are spot on 19ja43 .

I did notice the security symbol flashed on few times and that is when the starting problem occured. By removing the ignition key and re -inserting it , as you say, does help. Since then I have taken the car to the dealer where I bought the car from. They have changed the "coil antenna" near the ignition key area and this seems to have solved the problem, fingures crossed XX. It seems the key code was not being read properly by the receiver.

Thanks for your valuable input."