Are all German car seats hard? - andyfr

I can't think of a German group car that I've been in which hasn't had hard seats. My father in law had a Golf and we also hired one to do a long journey in once and they both had hard seats. We went for a test drive in a Skoda Octavia 4x4 and after half an hour we couldn't wait to get back in our Freelander.

We changed my wife's car recently for a new Skoda Fabia and as that is only used for the daily 15 mile each way commute it's not too bad. We used it to go to the airport when we were going away this year and that was 150 miles, after 50 miles it was uncomfortable.

For long journeys and the winter we use my car, Honda CR-V, and that is still comfortable after a 400 mile plus drive as were the two Freelanders we had prior to that. We have rented SUVs in the US and they have seats like armchairs, really comfortable. They still had plenty of lumbar support so no back problems.

I have also seen on other forums complaints about BMW seats being hard. So are all German car seats hard and if so why?

Are all German car seats hard? - WellKnownSid

It's not just the seats - there is a growing trend towards cars having race-track suspension - great for blasting around on a private runway, but absolutely no use for the public highways of Europe!

We were given an Insignia the other week when on holiday. Actually, a lovely car, except for the sporty seats, ultra-stiff suspension and tyres which looked more like rubber bands.

Hit a piece of chewing gum in the road and your teeth would start rattling!!!

Are all German car seats hard? - madf

Any tyres profile less than 65 is usnuited to UK towns and B roads. - in my view...

Many people with Mini Cooper S and faster BMWs round here will not drive on country roads as the cars are so rigid.. It's a case of form over function...

Edited by madf on 17/08/2010 at 18:25

Are all German car seats hard? - bimmer-driver

You should try a newish SE spec BMW. Couldn't believe how soft the ride was even with 45 profile runflat tyres.

Are all German car seats hard? - Harry Boy

Perhaps now we know why Germans put all those towels on seats! Andy?

Are all German car seats hard? - Dutchie

They have hard bottys:)

Are all German car seats hard? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

The only seat that has been adversely commented upon in our family is the current Toyota Yaris.

I'd recommended one to a relative and I was told how bad they were.

I could not believe it , but yes, in the showroom the Yaris seat felt just like a stacking plastic seat. Are they really all like that?

Are all German car seats hard? - injection doc

I had a 59 merc e class, the most uncomfortable car ever ,after 16000 miles gone & never again. My backside used to go numb afetr couple of hours! really bad as well. I had to laugh as i took a collegue out for the day from work & after couple of hours he was figiting around and when asked what the problem was his backside was numb! so we both had to stop & rub our backsides. I can see the funny side now But oh i get back in my freelander 2 & its like arm chairs.

I have a passat & the seats are good but they are cloth which helps, the merc was leather. carp really, as was the reliability.

Are all German car seats hard? - SteveLee
Most motoring journalists are at the bottom of the rung socially and economically, they look at cars through teenage boys' eyes. so dustbin lids for wheels, rubber bands for tyres and lap times at the 'ring are de rigour when it comes to their priorities.

In other worlds - don't read the rags, take the car out and try it for yourself on the roads you'll be driving on, if people bought the cars for their needs rather than what the press tells them to we'd still have wonderfully supple Rover 75s and Citroëns instead of rock hard German rubbish built to be stable on the autobahn at 250 clicks.

Is wasn't always that way, remember the first and second generation 3 and 5 series? Cracking cars with sensible tyres and sufficient suspension travel.
Are all German car seats hard? - Dutchie

A bit harsh about motoring journalist Steve we all talk rubbish sometimes.Years ago i inherited my fathers vw jetta the old type golf with a boot.No problems with the seats good support.I do agree with you about the Rover 75 drove one as a test car (oil testing and engine wear) good support for my back and nice to drive.The first citroen i ever got a lift in with the funny headlights i forget the name over 50 years ago i dissapeared in the seats.Citroen where ahead of their time when it came to comfort.

Are all German car seats hard? - SteveLee
The Mk1 Golf was a legend, like the early Beemers it had good suspension travel with decent damping and yet was still a driver's car. My problem isn't with 25+ year old cars, it's a fairly modern trend - started by BMW and copied by others.
Are all German car seats hard? - Mondaywoe

I bought a new Mondeo Titanium X a few months ago (traded in a Citroen C5!) The Mondeo seats are harder, especially the backrest , but I have come to like them OK because they do give good support. HOWEVER - the car came with 18" alloys and 'rubber band' tyres which were horrible on anything other than perfect main roads. Eventually I pulled them off and fitted 16" wheels and sensible 215/55 tyres. The car is now transformed. It rides almost as well as the C5 and handling is not compromised to any appreciable extent for real world driving.

I see Ford have discontinued 18" wheels on the TitX and have reverted to 17" - I reckon lots of complaints from customers.

Anyone like to buy 4 !8" Ford alloys with Contis - only done 2000 miles!

Are all German car seats hard? - nortones2

To rebut Steve, if we bought cars designed for this country, rather than for German roads, we might get a better compromise. You should try driving in Germany to see the difference in road profile. Or, buy French. As for journalists, what an extraordinary comment to make. The ones I have had dealings with, admittedly in a narrow sector, have been impressive in their knowledge and contacts. I might not agree with their conclusions, but they have to toe a party line, probably set by a tax exile.

Are all German car seats hard? - Avant

The point about journalists, if I can put it more politely than Steve, is nothing to do with their upbringing or social status but that they consider it their job to test cars to the limit of their ability (the cars' ability, that is). And so it is - but too many of them then base their overall judgement of the car on how it behaves in extremis.

That's why so many group tests involving BMWs and Audis are a walkover in favour of the former: whereas there are a lot of us mere customers who think it's a matter of opinion with a lot of merit in both (particularly if you go fo an SE version of an Audi and not the boneshaking S-line). The journos forget that a lot of customers - not least those whose companies buy their BMWs, Audis and Mercedes and the patriotic and discerning ones Jaguars - spend much more time pouding up and down motorways than testing their cars' roadholding on B-roads.

Of course there are some journalists who are honourable exceptions to this, including HJ (and he didn't ask me to say that!), who look at a car from the point of view of the people likely to buy it.

Going back to seats, it's a very personal thing: some like firm Teutonic, some like soft squishy French. Many people think that Volvos are best for a comfortable compromise.

Are all German car seats hard? - maltrap

When i bought my first Golf in 1994 the salesman told me the reason for the "firm" seats was to prevent "submarining" (i think) to stop you sliding below the lap belt in the event of an accident.