FIAT DUCATO - FIAT DUCATO MOTORHOME - CAT B - jasman

I bought a Fiat Ducato Motorhome last year on ebay as spaires or repairs with some damp problems inside the rear of the camper . As i'm a coach- -builder to trade this would be an easy fix just having to re-seal the roof and interiour lining boards replaced and just a make over to update as the van was an 1987 model . There was no body or panel damage at all everything was totaly origional and a few years of dust dirt and grime on the paintwork as hadn't been on the road in a few years. The police came 3 weeks after a v5 was aplied for everything was fine i got my log book .I desided that this was a realy good old van i would keep it. So i spent a fortune on making it a modern camper and renewed the whole inetriour apliances the lot about £2000 spent plus £1000 for the van. MOT TAXED INSRURED it 6 weeks ago insurance have now canceled my policy saying it was a cat B write off . I contacted DVLA as why a log book was isued and they said it deosn't come into the catagory as its a motorised caravan and that they are happy as police report sayed they deemed it road worthy. Citizens advice say it can be changed but wer'nt sure how. Isurance who wrote it of says theres nothing i can do this cannot be changed as the engineers report is that vehicle will be cat B so basicaly tuff.!! So i'm now left with our lovely camper been away in every weekend including a weeks holiday for the last 6 weeks. And cant get insurance.We are totaly gutted as we love it not to mention the work and money spent on it. Please can you help in where to go with this .jim

FIAT DUCATO - FIAT DUCATO MOTORHOME - CAT B - LucyBC
My colleague Peter Mann may be able to assist you with this in getting the vehicle reclassified or persuading an insurer to cover you.

Please contact me with your email address and telephone number: lucy.bonhamcarter@autolaw.co.uk
FIAT DUCATO - FIAT DUCATO MOTORHOME - CAT B - Dwight Van Driver

In your position I would consider having a word with VOSA (E Mail address on their site) to explore re classification on a rebuild.

One never knows

dvd

Iv'e spoken to them and the problem is my vehicle is on the road i have a log book in my name there is no mention of any total loss or anything on it . as far as thier concerned its down to insurance whether or not my camper gets re-classified its their computer register . vosa only get notification if it has a flag on it to be checked which mine didn't..as far as reclassification on a re-build i dont realy get what you mean perhaps you could tell me more.

cheers

jim

FIAT DUCATO - FIAT DUCATO MOTORHOME - CAT B - Dwight Van Driver

As I understand it (and very wooley on the details) there have been vehicles that have been written off and from the ashes a Pheonix has arisen in the creation of a new vehicle rebuilt from parts - bit like a kit car. VOSA should be able advise.

If it is only your Insurance Company that is blocking have you tried a Broker or an other Company. You say there are no markers on the DVLA record for the vehicle on the V5?

dvd

yes dvd my log book is clean and dvla say they dont catagorise it the same as a car as its a motorised caravan thats why i got log book and that the police only checked it as it had a notification someone declared it sc***ped so they checked vehicle identity and reported in their opinion the vehicle could go back on the road and that was before i started work on it . nothing at all on v5

regards jim