Peugeot 306 - 306 dturbo - no power - diesel00

i have fitted a 405 dturbo to my 306 dturbo after the last engine packed it in . the engine is from a 1995 dturbo 405 and the car is a 00 306 van . i am using the lucas pump off my previous engine with injectors too . in conjunction with the 405 engine im using its own manifold and garret turbo too . the wiring is from a 306 straight diesel slightly modified to run a dturbo . the engine sounds fine running and all but it has no power what-so-ever . when i remove the pip going from the intercooler to the fuel pum and place my finger on it at the intercooler there is only a small amount of air flow , anyone know whats wrong ? we have trien playing with the actuatot too but no luck .

Peugeot 306 - 306 dturbo - no power - Peter.N.

Well, at least you have gone in the right direction and replaced it with a simpler more reliable engine but why didn't you use the mechanical pump on the 405? Am I right in assuming that your 306 had the EPIC pump or is it old enough not to? It certainly sounds as though you have no little or no turbo pressure, being purely mechanical it can only be either that the turbo is not running freely or the waste gate is stuck open. Bear in mind though that you won't get much from the turbo unless the engine is under load, you should be able to feel a bit while its accelerating up to full revs but once it gets there the pump throttles back and so does the boost.

thanks for the reply . i am using the lucas pump off the previous dturbo engine which came out of a '97 dturbo 306 . i was unable to use its original ( 405 engine ) pump which was a bosch because my brother who owns it needs it . when you drive it , it feels like it wants to go but just no boost is the only way to describe it .

Pity about the pump.

Can you disconnect the air intake hose from the manifold and see if you get a good blast of air out when you rev the engine? Have you checked the hose from the turbo to the engine for splits etc? you could have a blockage but I would have thought that would have given you black smoke. I would take the intake hose off the turbo and make sure it is turning freely, you could have some foreign matter in there that has jammed the turbo.

i forgot to mention there is plenty of black smoke when its driving and a bit when just revving . i have removed the pipe at connection to intercooler ( not at turbo itself ) and there is air alright and the turbo was spinning freely by hand before being fitted .

Have you tried driving it with the pipe disconnected, if you still have smoke I would suspect that the pump timing is out, does it start easily, is it unusually quiet or does it knock? If it runs OK, apart from turbo boost I would suspect a restriction in the air supply somewhere. You have a good blast of air from the pipe?

there is a good blast of air from the pipe . it sounds alright running , the engine was lying up for 4 years before i put it in . could this have anything to do with the problem ?

Right, that should eliminate turbo trouble but it certainly sounds as though you are short of air, assuming the timing is OK, I suppose nothing has taken up residence in the inlet manifold while its been standing. does it start OK?

its starts fine everytime , it even starts without heater plugs sometimes . if the compression was down in one cylinder would that account for power loss ? i took it for a drive yesterday with my dad behind me and it smokes whenever its given the trottle really , but when i got back and the car was ticking over in the yard it sounded very quiet to me .

This is very strange, if it starts without the heater plugs that woud indicate that the compression is very good, it would also indicate that the timing is about right although if its quiet that could be caused by the pump timing being retarded which would also account for the black smoke. Can you actually feel any increase in power when the turbo comes in at about 2000-2500 rpm?.

no there is nothing , the car tops out in 5th gear at about 80mph and wont go any further .

Mmm, is your lucas pump electronically controlled?

as far as i know its not , there is a single plug connected to it - a blue one . it has a pipe going to the intercooler connected to it also .

Possibly a cold advance sensor. Do any of the injectors have a wire connected to them? The pipe is for the pressure sensor in the pump that tells it to increase fuel delivery, as I think you know, if there was anything wrong there you would have a very clean exhaust, not smoke. There seem to be conflicting symptoms here. Are you anywhere near Dorset?

it does have wires going to the injectors , unfortunately no i live in ireland in wexford . getting a compression test done now to see if thats wrong .

If you have an injector sensor it does have some measure of electronic control, so the problem could lie there, it may not be advancing as the speed increases. There should only be one injector with a wire connection. The injector sensor is a reference point for the pump. You can try having the compression tested but I don't think it is your problem. Diesels rely on good compression to start, if one cylinder was low it would run unevenly when first started and chuck out a lot of blue smoke. I would try another injector with the sensor, or alternativly fit a mechanical pump, I'm sure that would cure it..

Peugeot 306 - 306 dturbo - no power - madf

I suspect you have the wrong engine ECU.

i am using a 00 1.9d 306 ecu , my brother had to modify it a little to run the previous dturbo which was from a 306 .

Is this not the original ECU that went with the pump?

no , its the cars' ecu which originally was a straight diesel van but i put a dturbo in it and my brother modified the wiring to work the pump . it used to work fine on the previous dturbo engine though .
Peugeot 306 - 306 dturbo - no power - madf

I am sorry: you are wasting our time by not telling us that.

A non standard engine with modified wiring and ECU and you want us to troubleshoot it for you.

You are having a laff :-(

Why not tell us first so we could save our time?

it worked perfectly on the previous engine

I think your best bet would be to fit a mechanical pump, I'm sure there must be plenty about for not to much money, one from a Xantia or ZX would do, preferably Bosch but an early Lucas would do. If you fit a Bosch one you will need the injection pipes as well.