citroen zx advantage diesel - alexander
Hello everyone

further trials and tribulations regarding engine not cooling properly.

as advised before, I have replaced the thermostat as a matter of course, checked flow through the radiator which is fine.

putting it all back together and reiflling it etc seemed to be OK for about the first 10 miles, then the same problem, pressure build up in the big fat hose on the top of the radiator, radiator cold as ice, engine overheating again.

So someone suggested the head gasket might be gone, but a garage I took it too said they would have to open it to check it, and that alone would cost me £300 or so, even if it wasn't the cylinder head gasket.

I am really getting depressed about this, I've taken it to two garages now who both say the same thing, and it is clearly beyond the scope of my limited knowledge. (there are no white spots in the oil which might suggest water in the oil by the way.)

so please help..... :)

citroen zx advantage diesel - Ross_D
Alexander,
It sounds like air in the cooling system. When you refilled it, did you use an extra header tank? Something like a lemonade bottle with the bottom cut off should suffice, as long as you seal the joint between the bottle and the radiator. The level in the bottle should be kept above the highest point of the cooling system, as you bleed it. This way hopefully all the air is pushed out. Its a stupid design on the ZX and 306 with the XUD engine, having the expansion tank incorperated in the rad.
You can check to see if the headgasket has gone without removing it, a simple test is available to check for combustion gases in the coolant. I suggest you try a different garage ;)

Ross