Advice on buying new through online discount sites - r1cbm

I am looking to buy a new motor from a online new car discount place. From what I can see, they just buy in bulk and supply with 1 owner on the docs which is like buying an ex-demo. So for me it works fine.

Problem is that I have looked at some of these dealers and their company history is sometimes a little suspect. Some have been going for a long time, others have clearly gone into liquidation and then started another company with a similar name. Others are sole traders so there's not much comeback.

So, the offer I have is as follows: New car delivered to my door, I have to pay 500 over the phone as a deposit and the rest of the balance BEFORE the car is delivered :(

It concerns me that I would have to part with cash before even getting the car. They have said a bank transfer is how they work and that they don't have facilities so don't hold stock. Hence the lower prices.

I said can you do a bankers draft, surely if I sent them a copy of it they can verify it's genuine and I hand it over when the car is delivered.

Any ideas / experences?

Advice on buying new through online discount sites - Westpig

Mate at work has just bought an Audi A4 through Drive the Deal. Part of their set up is you only ever pay the main dealer any monies, they just facilitate the deals and get a cut from the dealer.

The transaction and delivery of the car was completely painless.

There's no way on this earth i'd ever cough up my hard earnt cash to an unknown entity that could then go bust before the car was delivered...no matter what the discount was.

HJ recommends some, he wouldn't do so if he hadn't got decent feedback, why not stick to one of them.

Advice on buying new through online discount sites - Talking Hoarse

I recently bought a Hyundai i30 via a car broker New-Car-Discount.com in Warrington, saving over £3800, and with a reasonable /businesslike trade in allowance too. This far beat any dealer prices I could get to. The broker I dealt with was also much more knowledgable about the car spec (changing as "2011" model) than dealers I spoke to. I paid £500 deposit by credit card, the balance by debit card on collection of the car (I chose to go & get it). Car was factory ordered, arrived promptly (via a dealer), was perfect with 20 miles on it, and I got it on its day of 1st registration. The only fly in the ointment is that I am the 2nd owner of the car (I knew all about that), but when I recently received the V5 it shows that the broker /fleet company owned "my" car for 6 weeks as they put the wrong date on the V5 when despatching - so I have written off to DVLA to get that put right.

I am a "nervous" trader online and a proud car owner, and so buying unseen like this was very adventurous for me. The whole experience was relatively painless, and yes, I would do it all again with same company.

Advice on buying new through online discount sites - CarFriend

I would only give you 3 points of advice that MUST be followed:

1. Only deal with a company that is actually a genuine business with infrastructure> their are many websites out there where they are just one man bands working from a spare room at home. They have no premises you can visit or genuine business infrastructure to deal with you proffesionally in the case of anything that goes wrong.

2. Make sure the company does not hold onto the V5c (log book) for a long period of time. Many internet sites pre register the cars to a fleet company and as part of this do not release the V5c to you for anything from 6-12 months. THIS IS ILLEGAL and both the supplier and the purchaser could be fined by DVLA for an amount of up to £5000 each. In addition, you may not be insured correctly as some insurance policies state you must be the registered keeper of the vehicle.

3. The big one...NEVER EVER EVER pay for your car until you have recieved it. NEVER. If a company are asking you to do this then this really means that they dont have the money to pay for the car themselves and are using YOUR money to pay for it. These companies are often reffered to as pyramid companies as they take other peoples money to pay for other peoples cars. If this company collapsed you would lose all your money. NEVER EVER EVER do this. EVER.

Advice on buying new through online discount sites - Kancho

The alternative is to use the price from the discount place to drive down the dealer price. A friend of mine was on his way to a dealer (Peugot) to buy a new car (final visit to sign paperwork etc), I asked if he'd checked the drive-the-deal price, he hadn't, he did, he printed it out and took it with him..forgotten the difference but it was considerable....about £1000 I think..... He was prepared to use drive-the-deal to order the car, the dealer matched that price to keep the business.

Advice on buying new through online discount sites - turbo11

We purchased my wifes new Mazda 3 from New Car discount.Com.a as it was £2200 cheaper than our local Mazda dealer where I had purchased my Mazda 6.

We paid a deposit on credit card over the phone and the remaining balance by bankers draft. They rang up the night before delivery to get the bankers draft details, once they had confirmed they were happy with the details they rang back to confirm delivery to our door the next morning. It was so easy and painless. I would certainly use them again.

Advice on buying new through online discount sites - turbo11

PS. forgot to say that we handed over the draft to the delivery guy upon receiving the new car.

Advice on buying new through online discount sites - daveyjp

We purchased through drive the deal and would have no hesitation using them again. Once the deposit was paid all further contact was through the dealer. Balance was paid using interbank transfer, car delivered next day.

Advice on buying new through online discount sites - r1cbm

Thanks for the replies. I've tried to get the dealers to drop their prices to no avail....

No way I am stumping up cash before getting the car, on transaction that makes sense either switch or bankers draft.

Apprciate the replies :)

Advice on buying new through online discount sites - Auristocrat

Have a look at Autobytel.co.uk - retail website of Inchcape. You actually buy from one of Inchcapes dealerships. Part exchanges accepted. I've bought my last two Toyotas through Autobytel (Oct 2006 and Oct 2009) and via Inchcape Toyota at Burton, and found the process very easy.

Advice on buying new through online discount sites - Avant

If you look at Ask Honest John on this site, his answers to Q 3 and 21 will help. At 21 he warns "Note that NONE of these are checked out. This is merely information. You use it entirely at your own risk."

Probably best to stick to one you've heard of, or one that's recommended in the posts above. And if you're risk-averse like me, you won't hand over the cash (apart from the deposit) until you see the car.