Mazda - OIL LIGHT - strobe

I'm a time served mechanic in the trade now 25years and just want to alert all mazda owners to the recurring problem I have seen on many mazda's of blocked oil pickup strainers. The first warning you as the driver will notice is the odd flicker of the oil light often only at higher revs.DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO PASS THIS SYMPTOM OFF AS A GLITCH.... IT IS SERIOUS. Have the sump removed and clean the strainer (after removing it from the oilpump) .If confirmation is required that this is a problem in your case then have the oil pressure tested. If the oil pressure remains low at 1500rpm and above (in some cases pressure has even been observed to drop as the engine rev's increase) then you have a "cloggage". These cars have smaller oil strainers than some of the other manufacturers and this makes them less tolerant of irregular servicing and the consequent carbon deposits that build up in all internal combustion engines

Failure to take action nearly always ends in disaster for the engine ie at best failure of crank bearings and in many cases total siezure

Mazda - OIL LIGHT - Avant

Strobe - many thanks for the warning.

For the benefit of any Mazda drivers, can you tell us if this applies to all Mazda engines, both petrol and diesel?

Mazda - OIL LIGHT - Med

Hi Strobe,

As you seem to know your stuff, would it be possible to ask you a few questions? If you dont mind dropping me an email on contact@mazda-campaign.co.uk i would really appreciate it - if not i could post it on here?

Thanks,

Mehdi

Mazda - OIL LIGHT - KevinS

Too Late

You should get a job at Mazda, as you have the right approach. if they had done what you have done it would have saved (what seems) a lot of heart ach for a lot of Mazda Deisel owners including me.

Everytime I go passed a 2010-12 plate Mazda 6/7 I feel like knocking on the window and telling them. As Mazda Dealers aren't. This is discraceful.

Like most "normal" :-) folk we dont live on forums reading posts. If I had I would have seen you post. and reacted imidiately.

I wish I had read your post, although I didnt have the warning light your comments would have made me aware of the risk, I hadnt and now paying the price with a 45k miles CX7 yes 45k miles, car full D/S/H and a knackered 2.2d engine thats just been quoted just shy of £10k (list) to replace. An isnsulting 60% offer from Mazda..... Looking at your post date 2010 (assuming this is correct) Mazda have known of theis is issue for years and have the heads ion the sand or so calous they see a potential profit out of misfortuned owners like me.

Appauling... Thank you for the warning and I hope your kind warning gets to others before the dreaded happens as it sure will.

Mazda - OIL LIGHT - Peter.N.

Is this what's been causing all these engine failures?

Mazda - OIL LIGHT - gordonbennet

edit...didn't read the date, OP was 2010.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/06/2014 at 22:52

Mazda - OIL LIGHT - segamdj

Its caused by leaking injector seals, if if you have a blocked sump strainer then get the injector seals replaced as it will just happen again, it;s a major design fault by mazda, i've just done a blocked strainer on my parenrts mazda 3 2009 2.2 and all 4 injectors were leaking.

to be honest guys this seems to be a problem right across the mazda diesel range, the best move is to do what I did and fit a dashboard oil pressure gauge, at least this way you can keep on top of your pressure if the pressure gets lower after x amount on weeks,months etc this will tell you injector seals are leaking again and sump strainer is getting clogged again, better to have a constant reading while your on the road and get it sorted before the pressure drops to dangous levels then you total your engine

Mazda - OIL LIGHT - Peter.N.

Changing the oil twice as often as recomended will go a long way to reducing the problem.

Mazda - OIL LIGHT - xtrailman

How will an oil change unclog a strainer, or repair a leaking seal?

Mazda - OIL LIGHT - KevinS

Changing the oil frequencey wont have any effect (or little) as once the strainer is blocked its blocked.

To check the Torque settings on the injetor (no 1 in my and most cases) would solve also be of help Takes again minutes.

To change the Strainer isnt that bigger job as the CX7 (cant speak for the 6) has no cross member took Minutes ! I have whitnessed the task

DONT IGNOR A FLICKERING OIL LIGHT !