Ford S-MAX - Broken bolt - roofbars - ajsdoc

Went to hire a rof box for our hols today. The S-max has fixed points under covers on the roof. All going well until, when tightening the bolt holding the rack to the roof, the guy fitting it sheared the bolt flush with the hole.

He drilled down the broken stud but it did not fully remove and the bar is now held firmly with a self tapping screw into the hole left by drilling

I'm fine for my hols. However, when I get back I have a half drilled broken stud in the hole. I was hiring this year with a plan to buy bars and a box next year.

Not that DIY savvy so wondering how do I deal with making the hole ready to accept the standard fitting kits next year. Do I have to tap a new thread and if so, how do you do this?? Can I tap a new thread the same size as the previous one, or will it by definition be of a bigger size?

All help appreciated. It may be beyond me - is it something the local garage will do?

Edited by ajsdoc on 07/08/2010 at 15:49

Ford S-MAX - Broken bolt - roofbars - jc2

If you go the retapping route I would suggest a local engineering firm rather than a garage-more likely to have the correct equipment.

Edited by jc2 on 07/08/2010 at 16:20

Ford S-MAX - Broken bolt - roofbars - cheddar

One for a Ford dealer to sort out IMO.

Ford S-MAX - Broken bolt - roofbars - Chris M

Firstly, I'd be a bit pee'd off with the fitter. He should have felt something was wrong as he was tightening the bolt before it sheared.

To remove what's left you need one of these

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?action=search&fh_search=extractor&fh_refview=search&fh_reffacet=categories&fh_refpath=facet_87316993&fh_location=%2f%2fscrewfix%2fen_GB%2f%24s%3dextractor%2fcategories%3c%7bscrewfix_a137672%7d&fh_eds=%c3%9f&ts=15183

Find a local garage who have experienced mechanics NOT fitters. They will know how to do the job

Ford S-MAX - Broken bolt - roofbars - cheddar

Firstly, I'd be a bit pee'd off with the fitter. He should have felt something was wrong as he was tightening the bolt before it sheared.

Agreed, my comment re a Ford dealer is that the roof box fitter should be paying (or his ins co should) so take it to a Ford fealer so it is put totally back to as new spec.

It may be that by removing the roof lining the thread can be accessed from the inside, i.e. beneath and perhaps replaced.