1.4tdci diesel - Urgent advice on buying a car needed... - gedman85

Hello,

I've been to see a car tonight and i'm 50/50 on whether I should buy it. The car is an 04 plate fiesta with 57000 miles, 1.4 tdci fiesta finesse.

The buyer was looking 3250 but I have negotiated 3100. I realise this is above the parkers guide price but I have not seen another such example locally. I had a friend come round who works in a garage and he checked everything mechanically, and noticed a new battery, electric wires exposed with no covering going into battery ( not frayed or anything, just no plastic heatproof covering that you would expect).

I have done an HPI check and it cam back clear. However it did say that between 04 and 05 it covered 20,000 miles. In the year before the buyer bought it, the MOT documents said the car had covered just 2500 miles. The buyer has had the car for just a month and when I asked why, he said he took it as part exchange for a boat(!?). He would not negotiate on the price as he assured me he had negotiated a price of 3300 as part of a trade in for a car he was after, but would prefer the cash. I test drove the car and everything worked fine, and it drove beautifully.

The car has a full independent garage service history. I have also seen receipts for work done recently such as timing belts and exhaust boxes. The petrol cap has 'diesel only' sticker on it which suggests to me its first year was spent as a hire car. The current owner is the third owner. I am terrified that this car is a lemon and would like some advice.

Please help..

Edited by Avant on 28/07/2010 at 23:45

1.4tdci diesel - Urgent advice on buying a car needed... - gordonbennet

You aready know the answer really it's in your last sentence.

The MOT's and the HPI don't tally, it might be clerical error.

The owner's had it a month and trotted out some cock and bull story and you admit you're paying too much.

Leave it be.

1.4tdci diesel - Urgent advice on buying a car needed... - Avant

I agree. There should be lots of Fiestas around, so no need to risk your money on one where you have doubts.

Do you do a high annual mileage? If not, maybe look for a petrol (1.25 or 1.4) as diesels can be very expensive to repair as they get older.

Hello,

When I said the 2500 mileage, that was what the previous owner had recorded between the two MOTs. The fact that the battery has been changed and wiring exposed, would that suggest its been clocked?

I guess you're right. Drove really smoothly though, its easy to get waylaid. Especially when you spend so much time looking. Im about to start a job where my weekly commute will be 350 miles so I want something comfortable and economical for 3k.

I really am getting fed up looking. Is it impossible to get something genuine for this money??
1.4tdci diesel - Urgent advice on buying a car needed... - Avant

Not impossible, but sadly the less you spend the more of a gamble it is as to whether you get a good one.

With that mileage maybe a VW or Skoda with the 1.9 TDI engine would make sense. Others have done high mileages in Ford diesels, but with a diesel it's particularly vital to make sure it has a full service history.

1.4tdci diesel - Urgent advice on buying a car needed... - Collos25

Its more likely to be a unregistered crash repair car run a mile.

Hello,

I can't seem to find any around that price. I've seen one estate thats done around 90,000 on a 52 plate from a dealer, no mention of service history but thats it.
1.4tdci diesel - Urgent advice on buying a car needed... - corax

>> I am terrified that this car is a lemon and would like some advice.

Forget the car, and then you won't be terrified anymore. Avants advice of a Skoda diesel, maybe a Fabia, might be a better buy as the sort of people that own these are less likely to mess you around.

1.4tdci diesel - Urgent advice on buying a car needed... - injection doc

As all the advice has been given so far is on the ball all i will add is another walk away! there are planty more out there & if it looks too good to be true it probably is !

My wife had a 1.4 TDCi & loved it & used to average 47-50 local & 53ish on a run, noisy on a motorway but then we bought Fiesta 1.6tdci, totally different car! loads of grunt & much more economical, 54ish running about & 60+ on a run 70 mpg if you drive like a nun.

Very quiet & plenty or tourque! & still cheap road tax , think its about 30 quid a year.

Niether car have given any problem in over 5 years other than a fan switch for the air con fans which stuck on & fords fixed under warranty no probs at all.

1.4tdci diesel - Urgent advice on buying a car needed... - Collos25

The problem is that when they are not registered they could have suffered any type of damage ,there is no problem with cat D if its genuine.

1.4tdci diesel - Urgent advice on buying a car needed... - peanut

I'll second ID. 1.6 is a much better car for eating the miles, and the economy is top, as ID states. And a hoot to drive.

For what its worth, who you're buying it from, and how well they look after it matters as much as age/miles. I'd jump at an older/higher mileage car if it had been owned by someone for years who had really looked after it. Can you trust the person is as much of a question as can you trust the car.

Peanut.