Peugeot 106 - MOT Brake Failure - Pejay

My 1998 106 has just failed the MOT on the following.
Service brake efficiency below requirements [3.7.A.9]
Offside Rear brake recording little or no effort [3.7.A.4a]
The RBT Service Brake Efficiency was recorded at 49%

The MOT Tester said that it probably only needed to be cleaned out. I have removed the drum, brushed out all dust and cleaned the drum with brake cleaner. This has not made any difference.

When I apply the hand brake or the foot brake, the passenger side wheel is locked, but the drivers side can still be turned.

I have not lost any brake fluid and there are no signs of any leakage round the wheel cylinder. The brake shoes look in good condition and the lining thickness is well within that specified in the manual.

I just can't see what else the problem could be that would cause both hand and foot brake to be less effective on one side than the other. Any ideas or suggestions, very much appreciated.

Peugeot 106 - MOT Brake Failure - gordonbennet

When you checked the wheel cylinder did you peel back the dust covers from both ends and look for seeping fluid, the dust covers don't let fluid through until there's lots.

Secondly when you have the drum off gently press the brake pedal and see if the shoes move, cylinder could be seized, get an assistant to stop one shoe at a time moving with a screwdriver or lever wedged in, similar check for handbrake cable actually doing something both sides.

The adjusters tend to seize in one spot over time too, will have to remove shoes and free them off.

Maybe wouldn't hurt to give the brakes a bleed whilst you are there.

Funnily enough just had to replace both rear cylinders and shoes on a 97 106 this weekend, both seeping.

By the way, Lockheed Delphi shoes and both cylinders (which have internal pressure limiting valves) from good factors, £55 including VAT so don't get burned.

Peugeot 106 - MOT Brake Failure - Railroad.

It's not unusual on these for the brake shoe linings to break away from the shoes so it's worth checking that they haven't. When they do the wheel will not rotate a full turn. Instead they tend to turn half a turn then lock up.

Check that you don't have a seized wheel cylinder, and that the shoes are correctly adjusted. As was said in the previous post they might have self-adjusters but do not expect them to work 'cos they never do. Adjust them manually by turning the nut a few clicks at a time until you can't get the drum on. Then back it off until you just can, but make sure it isn't too tight or your brakes will bind.

Finally adjust the handbrake cable if required. Ideally 4 or 5 clicks on the handbrake is what you're looking for providing that it doesn't bind. A handbrake lever that pulls right up to the stop it itself an MOT failure......

Thanks for the help. I can see I need to have a much better look, especially at the cylinder and handbrake adjuster. I will take the hub off again tonight and follow the suggestions.

Cheers, Peter

Pejay, reminder you are supposed to renew the hub nut when you remove it.

As a temp measure if you swap the nuts either side the axle groove *should* line up in a different spot on the nut when you torque it so can lock it in safely.

Once again, thanks for all the help and advice so far. I still haven't managed to get much improvement on the foot brake. The handbrake adjuster did seem seized up. After taking it apart and giving it a good clean, it is holding better.

Following earlier advice, I removed the shoes so I could have a proper look at the wheel cylinder and there did appear to be some slight seeping of fluid. I renewed the cylinder and tried bleeding with my 'ezzibleed' kit. Still no improvement, so I had to wait until today to get a mate to help me bleed again using traditional method. Again not much improvement and the wheel can still be turned by hand when foot brake fully on.

My mate noticed that at the top of one of the shoes (One nearest front of car) the lining has started to come away from the metal. I'm not sure how much difference this would make.

Anyway, only place open round here today was Wilco's. The shoes they sold me look very cheap and poor quality! The lining thickness on these new shoes is less than my old ones (about 3mm). The make is ABTEX. Has anyone heard of this make? Are they worth fitting, or should I wait and try to get some better ones. Not sure where from though as Halfords don't do them and don't think there's anywhere else round here. I thought linings on new shoes should be nearer 6 or 7mm?

Peter

Anyway, only place open round here today was Wilco's. The shoes they sold me look very cheap and poor quality! The lining thickness on these new shoes is less than my old ones (about 3mm). The make is ABTEX. Has anyone heard of this make?

Peter

The Lockheed Delphi linings i fitted last week seemed good, meaty too though i didn;t measure the depth. 3mm does sound a bit thin tbh, and i've never heard of the make you mention.

You need a proper factors Peter, is there a German Swedish French or Eurocarparts anywhere near you, if not there will be a competent motor factor who supplies the trade in your area and they may even deliver them to your gaff on one of their rounds COD, ask them.

Take the old linings with you for pattern if youare going to their premises, the factors desk bloke will give you a big hug for having the sense to do so with brake parts for a French car.

You surprise me that Halfords don't stock for this good and very common car, their stuff is usually good too if a bit pricey unless you can borrow a trade card.

The car may need a bit of a run after fitting the new linings to allow things to bed in before you get full brakes again.

Thanks. I will try to find a motor factor tomorrow. I think I've seen one not too far from me. I have always been a bit hesitant to try these for any parts I've needed in the past as I always thought they were strictly 'trade only'.

By the way, the cheap and nasty ones I got earlier weren't even the right ones, they were about an inch too small. And thats after they checked my registration number on their system and assured me they were ok!

Peugeot 106 - MOT Brake Failure - Railroad.

Getting the right cylinders and shoes can be a real nightmare on Peugeot's and Citroen's. There seems to be so many different types of brake system and variants. I often think many of these cars were made up of spare parts.....