Tyre tread depth limits? - P3t3r

What is the legal requirement for tyre tread depths (for a car) at the edges? The middle 75% must have at least 1.6mm, but what about the edges? Is it true that it is perfectly legal for them to be completely bald as long as the middle 75% is ok?

I think this changed a while back and the tread did need to be visible at the edges, but that has changed now hasn't it?

Tyre tread depth limits? - Collos25

What is the legal limit?

The law demands that tyres have a tread depth of 1.6mm in a continuous band around the centre three quarters of the tyre.

These levels represent the absolute minimum and tyres as worn as this should be replaced immediately.

To help you judge how much tread you have on your tyres, manufacturers often mould tread bars at roughly 1.6mm. If you can see these bars your tyres are about to become illegal and unsafe.

Recent research conducted by the independent automotive research and testing centre, MIRA, has proved that there is a significant deterioration in wet braking distances when a tyre wears below 3mm.

Tyre tread depth limits? - Marc

"Is it true that it is perfectly legal for them to be completely bald as long as the middle 75% is ok?"

No. The edges have to have 1.6mm also. TBH if your tyres are below 2mm anywhere they are due for a change.

"Is it true that it is perfectly legal for them to be completely bald as long as the middle 75% is ok?"

No. The edges have to have 1.6mm also. TBH if your tyres are below 2mm anywhere they are due for a change.

No, I know that isn't true. 1.6mm only applies to the middle 75% (it's in the highway code). I'm happy with the tyres as they are, they don't give me any problems. They have about 4mm in the middle so I don't really want to replace them yet.

Tyre tread depth limits? - Armstrong Sid

Even if it was legal, would you want to be driving anything on tyres like that?

Tyre tread depth limits? - bathtub tom

The last time I checked, it was IIRC:

A minimum of 1.6mm across 75% of the width of the tyre for its entire circumference, with visible tread on the rest.

Tyre tread depth limits? - Marc

A car with a bald edge on a tyre will fail an MOT - 75% or not I reckon. Plus it's dangerous IMO.

If you've got such a feathered edge you want to get the tracking checked as any new pair of tyres will go in just the same way.

Edited by Marc on 21/07/2010 at 11:09

Tyre tread depth limits? - woodster

Bathtub tom is the only correct reply. There must be visible tread pattern across the remaining part. So if you had a 180mm tyre, thats 1.6mm across the central 135mm leaving two shoulders each of 22.5m that must have 'visible tread pattern'.

Bathtub tom is the only correct reply. There must be visible tread pattern across the remaining part. So if you had a 180mm tyre, thats 1.6mm across the central 135mm leaving two shoulders each of 22.5m that must have 'visible tread pattern'.

This is what it used to be, but I thought it had changed. I've been searching the Internet about this, and have found something that said it changed. It looks like the edges are ok as long as the cords aren't showing. On an MOT website I also read this "Each side of the central band of the tyre can be devoid of tread (ie. ‘bald’) and still meet the pass.". So I think they are probably legal.

It's supprising how difficult it is to find this information. Most things mention the centre part but don't mention anything else.

The tracking was out, but that was corrected a while back. I put the tyres on the rear too so I suspect that the inner edges don't get used much. They certainly seem to perform well enough.

Tyre tread depth limits? - piston power

3mm and mine come off a new tyre is 8mm.

In europe it's higher than 1.6mm think it's 3 or 4 mm thats why second hand tyre firms buy them!

Tyre tread depth limits? - Cliff Pope

The 75% rule presumably applies only to the portion of the tyre normally in contact with the road. Some tyres have wrap-around tread partly up the shoulder as well.

The tread round the shoulder is often less than 1.6mm to start with, so even a new tyre could fail if the 75% applied to the entire treaded surface.

Tyre tread depth limits? - Collos25

My reply came from the MOT advisory notes no other hearsay or opinion can change or alter what the MOT tester has to work by it maybe in different peoples opinion be wrong but that is the regulation as it is written.

Tyre tread depth limits? - Dutchie

1.6 mm that is next to nothing like previous backroomers have said would you want to drive on tyres this tread depht.This may sound emotional child runs across the road unexpectely you are driving in the rain on nearly bold tyres and have to stop.You never forgive yourself change your tyres.!

Tyre tread depth limits? - Pizza man
sounds like you need to up the PSI in your tyres.