Ford Galaxy Titanium X 163 2.00L - Ford Dealer Discounts - johntee

Hi,

I've just been into my local Ford dealers with view to purchasing a new 2010 unregistered Ford Galaxy Titanium X Semi-auto 163 2.0 litre diesel which he had in his showroom with many factory fitted exras on it. The total inclusive price is £34,815 of which £3275 is made up of those extras. I asked whether he could offer a discount for a cash sale with no vehicle trade in from me. He offered 10% on the extras (£327) but said he would not move under any circumstances on the vehicle price because of the low profit margin on the car. Is the dealer telling the truth about his profit margin or is he hoping I'll give in and pay his said price?

Of course I will not be paying him this price without advice. I would have thought the mark-up on a £35,000 car would have some tolerance within it, so why loose a sale for the sake of a miserly discount. Can anyone please input some info on this experienced scenario.

Regards,

John

Ford Galaxy Titanium X 163 2.00L - Ford Dealer Discounts - Collos25

He is talking c***

Ford Galaxy Titanium X 163 2.00L - Ford Dealer Discounts - Lygonos

Cobblers.

drivethedeal.com are doing a little over 10% off brand-new vehicles (same off options).

If the dealer can't slice at least £4000 off a pre-reg one then walk.

I'd personally expect they can do better than this - check again at the end of the month - remember there is a (albeit minor) reg change in 6 weeks.

Ford Galaxy Titanium X 163 2.00L - Ford Dealer Discounts - Lygonos

Also - remember a salesman will make a very fat comission on an undiscounted car, while he will get a nominal amount for selling it around it's minimum sale price.

If you are serious I'd phone the sales manager and say you are buying if he can do the price you want to pay.

It's a Ford - there are something like 300 dealers in the UK.

They all like to sell cars.

EDIT: or just go through DTD.com if you want a no-hassle deal.

Edited by Lygonos on 17/07/2010 at 17:59

Hi Lygonos & friends,

Most interesting replies so far, most appreciated. Upto £4000, my god, I started him off at a £2000 discount and he didn't even try to move on that. He did the usual; walk into the office and come back 5 minutes later saying his boss said no. I asked if that was absolute, and he replied yes, of course I walked at that. I'm in no rush to buy and I'm sure a Ford Galaxy is not going to have mega people swarming after it. I'm not the impulsive type so I can wait.

It still amazes me for he could have had an on the spot deal there and then but maybe greed is a funny thing to deal with. Some bonus is better than none at all in my eyes.

Is there a searchable national database for Ford dealers which I can use to search their stock holdings?

Regards to all,

John

Ford Galaxy Titanium X 163 2.00L - Ford Dealer Discounts - Rumfitt

Ironically, as a cash buyer you may not be as welcome as someone who needs finance - that's where the big money is made these days. Even low rate deals often have a nasty admin fee that distorts the true APR somewhat.

Also, the retail car industry has changed and there is nowhere near the surfeit of cars in times past. Once that prereg has gone you may have to wait some time for another. I've been to a few Ford showrooms where they don't even have a Galaxy demonstrator, such is the paucity of stock.

Pre-regs are different, but it looks like they know there's usually strong demand but this particular one is a little sticky - perhaps because of all the extras.

Finally, all dealers are different, and this one sounds like one of the tighter ones for deals. As to browsing the dealer network, specific dealers would be able to check their own group stock and any Ford Approved used stock, but not Ford Motor Company UK stock I don't think...

Hi Rumfitt & friends,

Thanks for your feedback, goods points made there. The dealer was very enthusiastic initially with the cash sale aspect, pushing the car, its features, blah, blah, blah!! When I mentioned a discount he nearly fell off his perch....... quite funny really, if I'd have my camcorder with me I could have got £250 off that TV program which pays for such stuff.

My neighbours boy who used to work in car sales years back was surprised a dealer had a car on stock with so many extras on it, reversing cameras, DVD SatNav mediaplayer etc etc. He thinks this stock item may have been a customer order which fell through.

There seems to be plenty of Galaxy's available but not this high spec TitaniumX model, so maybe he believes he can hold out for a better deal. I hope the car is still there in six or seven weeks time because I'll ring him and offer to buy if he gives me a £4000 discount, that should really p**s him off. If he says yes it will give me great pleasure in saying, "Thanks, but no thanks." That would be quite alien to my nature but one can make exceptions occasionally.

I've just contacted another dealer, he can provide the same car for delivery mid to end of September if ordered by Monday. Maybe that's just sales pitch, or is it lies similar to when a politicians lips are moving??

Regards,

John

Ford Galaxy Titanium X 163 2.00L - Ford Dealer Discounts - Graham567

A dealer that rhymes with Arnold Park is selling prereg 10 plates(petrol) Titanium X's for £27,495

Hi Videodoctor,

Yep, got to admit, you got me totally stumped there.......... I give up. I live in Northwest England and do not know of many dealers or car suppliers hence my request for help on our forum.

Rhymes with Arnold Park ????

I searched Google, maybe Arnold C*****.

Regards,

John

Hi,

Found the exact same Galaxy TitaniumX 163 2.0L semi-auto, with the exact same specifications & extras by searching autotrader.co.uk. Price, just £30,481. That price is tax included, Reg fee included, delivery included, delivery time 2 to 8 weeks ( more likely the 8 weeks though from experience). That dealer is obviously still making a good profit at that price. Good on him, that's what he's in business for.

My Ford dealer however wanted £34,815 and said there was no profit left in it so he couldn't give me a discount............. Supports my previously expressed opinion, like a politician, when there salesmans lips were moving he was lying. He lost a good sale for the sake of a few bob discount. The power of greed!!

I hope this info helps others. Many thanks to everyone who inspired me with their leads.

Regards

John

Ford Galaxy Titanium X 163 2.00L - Ford Dealer Discounts - Graham567

Your last guess at my named garage is correct but the naming policy on here is very draconian.I bought a car from them at Leyland and saved a massive fortune on list price(£9,000).I had a few niggles about a lost key but they eventually sorted it and i am very happy with my car.

Ford Galaxy Titanium X 163 2.00L - Ford Dealer Discounts - Avant

"....the naming policy on here is very draconian."

We have to be careful on here with comments which are in any way subjective, as in this litigious age we could easily be sued for defamation: also we don't want to put off any who might advertise with us (we couldn't run the forum without advertising).

But naming (without shaming) and stating a fact as you did above, Videodoctor, is fine.

Glad to hear you've found a better price, Johntee: a ploy that sometimes works is to get a quote from a broker such as Drivethedeal and ask the dealer if they can match it. If they are really keen to sell they may well come near it. But if they feel confident that they can get full price - e.g. when a model is much in demand - they won't.

Edited by Avant on 20/07/2010 at 00:20

Ford Galaxy Titanium X 163 2.00L - Ford Dealer Discounts - Travelinman

Hi All,

Lots of interesting comments here and having trawled dealers and online for a good deal it was clear that dealers differed in what they would do or offer. I heard comments that Ford modified the pricing to offer customers a generalised price drop (apparently trimming from dealer profit) due to the economic climate.

However, I did order in June and expect my Galaxy Titanium X 163 toward the end of October. Clearly some delays happened due to the Ford annual shut down, this was apparently compounded by gearbox supply issues - again hearsay and not from Ford - but 14 to 16 week delay was a little excessive but apparently the sales have been exceptional, rather than the suggestion by John "I'm sure a Ford Galaxy is not going to have mega people swarming after it." One wonders if this is a sudden rush before VAT increase? then Sales will drop, we will just have to wait and see I guess.

I tried several of the MPV market and was impressed by the Galaxy, I am looking forward to delivery which I hope will be sooner than later.

Anyone any experience on the economy actual .v. advertised?

Ford Galaxy Titanium X 163 2.00L - Ford Dealer Discounts - Shaz {p}

Wow, 34k for a Galaxy.Thats nearly Discovery money.

I do like the galaxy, but i would baulk at even paying 27k for one.

Ford Galaxy Titanium X 163 2.00L - Ford Dealer Discounts - gramar

£34k for a Ford Galaxy - why? Whatever car you buy its a tin box that will rot away and has 4 wheels and all you need is enough space, comfort, oomph to suit your particular needs and above all that comes reliability. WIth the cost of repairs particularly to modern diesels I say stay away from them.

My previous car a Citroen HDI was carp and gave no end of problems and the various 'experts' who tried to solve its foibles hadn't a clue. Take my advice say £30k and spend £4k on something a few years old that has been well treated - Oh and make sure its runs on petrol and is Japanese. You won't regret doing it and will have money in the bank for something more important.

Ford Galaxy Titanium X 163 2.00L - Ford Dealer Discounts - SteveLee

I'd want at least seven grand off that price - it's a Ford - you never pay anywhere near "sticker" price, there's plenty of them to choose from. I agree with gramar, get a looked after nearly new and save your bread.

You can buy a two year old one with less thatn 50K miles for just over 15K www.cargiant.co.uk/Ford/Galaxy/details-478397-Ford...p let some other mug/company take the initial depreciation hit. By buying new, In two years time you'll burned £15K - for what?

Ford Galaxy Titanium X 163 2.00L - Ford Dealer Discounts - SteveLee
PS don't be afraid to haggle, I got £9K off a pre-registered fully loaded Jag X type 2.5 tourer for a friend a couple of years ago (£29K down to £20K) and got the first service thrown in, go near the end of the month when they have sales targets to meet. Sometimes you can get cars at near cost as they have to shift enough metal to retain their volume discounts. Salesmen are not your friends - they are all trying to rip you off - don't be worried about insulting them and don't worry about walking away especially if they start spouting on about a "today only" offer to pressurise you. Make a fair offer (substantial discount), leave your phone number and head for the door - you'll be surprised how often this works. Take webprices along with you, drivethedeal etc. Tell them you know they can't match those prices (they can't) but you expect to get close.
Ford Galaxy Titanium X 163 2.00L - Ford Dealer Discounts - Falkirk Bairn
A son was buying a BMW 5 series, new £37K, local prices in Scotland for ex demo was £31K, Cheshire Dealer £29K. After negotiating he was getting it for £27.5 and the salesman could go no further - NO Profit in deal.

I phoned and re-started the discussion with another salesman...........after 2 hours of lapse time and maybe 40 mins on the phone another £750 came off the price, full tank and free delivery to Aberdeen.....................

There is always a deal to be done - sometimes patience or a different tack can get a deal.

Car was delivered but the s'man reneged on the full tank....................a letter and a receipt for £60 sent to the Dealer Principal got a cheque in 2/3 days.
Ford Galaxy Titanium X 163 2.00L - Ford Dealer Discounts - Armstrong Sid
So on something like a new BMW 5, how much profit is the dealer getting from each car at the beginning of negotiations, before they start making a few reductions?
Ford Galaxy Titanium X 163 2.00L - Ford Dealer Discounts - madf

Remember the best time to buy is near the end of month so dealer can meet targets..

Anyone who pays list price on anything is either in a rush or has more money than sense.

I target a minimum of 10% off everything major I buy .. and hope to achieve 25%.. If you are polite but firm and ignore the sales carp that people regurgitate to put you off (I close my eyes to block it out) you will always find a better deal.. The fact they are talking to you says they want to sell.

Buying any Ford for a price more than 75% of list means your day1 depreciation was 25%..

BMW profit margins ? For BMW about 20% gross I estimate. For dealer? About 10-15% .. the more options the bigger margin.

Anyone who buys a specced up car with £5k options is handing £2.5k to the dealer.

So if you MUST buy, negotiate on options.

(usually 100% markup on options in my experience).