MINI Cooper S R53 - Possibly buying a MINI Cooper S R53 tomorrow. - GSDog

Hi all,

My mum is possibly going to be buying a 2006 MINI Cooper S R53 tomorrow. We viewed it today and it seems to be in immaculate condition. It's only done just over 30,000 miles and drives like new.

It's had two previous owners, one of which was BMW (it was an ex-demo).

The problem is that the service book is missing. However, we phoned the BMW MINI dealership where the car was originally from and they told us all of the services that the car has had and it is all up-to-date. It had a major service just 3,000 miles ago. They said it looks like it has been very well maintained looking at the service records on their database. BMW MINI have said they that we can buy a new service book for £15 and they'd stamp it all up to date. However, I forgot to ask if this would show what the services included so that I can see what each service included.

Has anyone ever lost a service book by BMW or MINI and got a new one? Would it be identical to the old (missing) one?

I don't want her to buy the car then have trouble selling it in the future with a service book missing all the vital information.

Is there anything I should look out for when looking over it again tomorrow? Any common problems that need looking at with this car?

Any help would be appreciated.

MINI Cooper S R53 - Possibly buying a MINI Cooper S R53 tomorrow. - Avant

Sounds good: just the right mileage for a 4-year old car, not too high and not too low.

I suggest you get the dealer to give you a written undertaking to supply a stamped service book

Edited by Avant on 10/07/2010 at 01:44

MINI Cooper S R53 - Possibly buying a MINI Cooper S R53 tomorrow. - john farrar

I would use a ramp to take a look underneath in order to check for rust on the engine sub-frame and associated metal work. I've owned a Cooper from new(55 plate) and was horrified at the amount of rust on a 22,000mile, 5 year old car. BMW quality, I don't think so.

The metal sub-frame and quite a few other metal bits under the car are only painted and although the metal is thick, I would think that the corrosion would have lead to a MOT failure in a couple of years(by then a 7 year old car) .

By the way the car lives in a car port and is seldom used in the winter(convertible).

I've now treated the rusty bits with Dinitrol and I'm sure it'll be good for a few more years. The rest of the car has been fine.

I contrast I've looked under my step daughter's A3 which is 60,000 miles 7 year''s old and it looks perfect., probably because the underside is protected by a plastic tray.

Thanks for the replies.

She bought it! It's absolutely stunning without a scratch on it and drives incredibly well.

MINI Cooper S R53 - Possibly buying a MINI Cooper S R53 tomorrow. - PhilC

Just had exactly the same situation buying a 2006 56 Mini Cooper from an independent dealer.

Background:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=85171

The dealer had no service book with the car. In fact, the car had no owner documentation at all (apart from the V5 - the car was HPI clear) and just the single remote key. However, he did have a printout of the service history from BMWs service system. As part of the deal to buy the car we insisted that he get us a Mini service book, stamped by the relevant Mini dealers. To give him credit he did just that with no additional cost on the originally agreed purchase price. The book was back with the dealer when we picked up the car and paid the balance.

Since buying the car we've picked up the relevant Mini folder, owner's and audio handbooks for the car from EBay for £16. Scarily there were blank Mini Service Books for sale on EBay too.

We've also been in touch with the local Mini dealer with regard to getting a new key cut. On querying the registration number on the Mini/BMW system they confirmed that there is a TLC package still valid on the car until October 2011 - Result!

That's good to know that you got it all sorted out. I spoke to my local MINI dealer today and they sugested that I contact the MINI dealership where the car has been looked after for the last 4 years and ask them to stamp it all up to date.

I've heard about MINI service books being available for sale, as well as fake ones. It's really important to phone the places where the car has been serviced to have it confirmed; I'll always do that in the future from now on when buying a used car. When I phoned BMW MINI before buying the car they were extremely helpful and listed all the services the car has ever had done.

I still don't know whether it's got the TLC package or not, I'll have to try and find out. It'll be weird if it doesn't because the owner who bought it from new spent a fortune on options, you'd think that they wouldn't mind spending another £150 for 5 years of servicing!