2001 ford fiesta 1.6 zetec - overheating - fastfrench

a couple of days ago my car started having wild fluctuations on the temprature gauge going up to completely in the red anytime the speed goes up near 70mph, if travelling on the straights the temprature would not drop but if i went round a roundabout the temprature would drop to normal going up again on the next straight. i have fitted a new sender unit to the centre of the head, this has not change anything. heater control valve is working , no water loss has taken place. radiator hoses feel hot on the thermostat hose side and cooler on the waterpump side. any help much appreciated

2001 ford fiesta 1.6 zetec - overheating - Peter.N.

Have you changed the thermostat?

2001 ford fiesta 1.6 zetec - overheating - fastfrench

yes new thermostat fitted now [on my lunch break] car is now if anything worse. it now goes into the red as soon as pushed and will not drop down.

2001 ford fiesta 1.6 zetec - overheating - madf

When hot, stop and feel the radiator. If it is cold near the top or middle, it may be blocked.

Has the antifreeze been checked in the past 5 years.. ? It's an aluminium engine. No anti freeze - disaster.

Or water pump is failing,,

2001 ford fiesta 1.6 zetec - overheating - Peter.N.

If the heater works OK I would say radiator, if not could be the pump.

2001 ford fiesta 1.6 zetec - overheating - Collos25

To test the rad you need to remove it and have it pressure tested I doubt it is the pump but I would remove it and have a look as a matter of course.