Mong gayo 2.0 16v Zetec 1999 V reg Petrol - Ford Smart charge - Wodj

Ok.. So i know it's an old Topic .. I've read all the treads regarding this topic and loads of other Techy Stuff regarding Fords Smart Charge System. But i'm Stumped ! So Help Please :-)

Sister in Law has Mong Gayo 2.0 petrol on a 99 V plate. it has the smart charge system.
Been having probs starting car. No previous warning with Battery lights or anything. The Battery light does as it should in the start up sequence ..

If the Battery is removerd and charged overnight, the car will start and run to wherever u need to go.
It will also allow you to jumpstart it(3 pin connector removed to isolate smart charge) the car.
The Alternator with 3 pin plug disconnected is chucking out 13.2 v with Heating, light, heated rear window on..
With 3 pin connected the alternator is chucking out 14.4v..
The Battery with the car not running shows 12.6-12.8v at the terminals. If i turn heater, and lights on, it go's down to 7 volts but after switching them off it soon reverts back to 12.6-12.8v..
I have also tested for Battery Drain and this gives results of 0.02v with all doors closed and 0.13v with driver door open. I read that upto 0.5v is OK.. ?

So my question is ? Where do i go next ?

Cheers

Wodj

Mong gayo 2.0 16v Zetec 1999 V reg Petrol - Ford Smart charge - elekie&a/c doctor

Looks like you have a volt drop on the alternator output lead.Check the main battery cable where it bolts onto the starter main terminal positive.There is a spur lead that connects from here to the alternator.Not uncommon for these to overheat and cause a resistance in the connector point.You could prove the point by running an extra cable from the main alternator terminal direct to the battery plus connection.hth

Hi

Thanx for your reply. I have just taken the Battery of charge. So it' fully charged and the car has not been started for 3-4 hrs. After putting the battery on the car and trying to start it, all i can hear is a Dut Dut Dut Dut sound from near the starter motor i think ? About 4 x per second. Would this also do this if it had a Volt drop on the alternator output lead..

I'll go and get a lead from the local motor factors tomorrow if you still think this is the issue ..

Can i test for volt drop, before i get the lead ?

Cheers

Wodj

Mong gayo 2.0 16v Zetec 1999 V reg Petrol - Ford Smart charge - elekie&a/c doctor

Are you sure the battery is ok?The engine needs to be running to do an alternator volt drop test.I would also check the main engine earth lead where it bolts onto the engine block.hth

Are you sure the battery is ok?

To be honest ? No ! I'm not sure the Battery is OK..

It's been on the car for quite a few years and i'm not sure of it's integrity. Maybe worth just lobbing a new battery. It couldn't just be a Bad Battery could it ? Am i trying to look to deep for something and it maybe summat more simple ?

Ok.. Brand New 075 Calcium/Silver Battery fitted..

Cranked car over and it starts 1st time. With Smart Charge plug connected it Shows 14.62 volts accross the bat terminals with no lekkys on. With all Lekkys on it still shows 14.62 volts..

Take disconnect the smart charge plug and the voltage accross the terminals with all Lekkys on is 11.8v and dropping.. In a normal car without smart charge i would now just change the alternator without hesitation. But ? Is it as straight forward as that with Fords system ?

I have been getting different readings each day with different batterys. With the original battery on it was showing alternator putting out 13.8volts with Smart Charge disconnected. The said battery is definitely mullered though, as i charged it overnight and put the tester on it and it showed 12.1 volts and dropped rather quickly to mid 11's and lower..

With a non standard battery on the car it showed that the alternator was shagged with smart charge disconnected ? !? ! ?!!

Is it still worth looking for voltage drop as earlier stated ?

Wodj

With everything connected and working,the running voltages look good.I think you may be in too deep here and I would think that a new battery has restored the smart charge system.Time will tell.hth

Thanks for reply..

So when u say in to deep? Do u mean i'm looking to deep ? Or i'm into deep for my ability :-)

I know what your saying that all seems good with SC connected. But shouldn't the Alternator put out 13.8v with SC disconnected ?

Cheers

Wodj