Any - Low, quiet or distorted in-car audio sound volume - Lee1

Did you click on the thread ready with the answer as to what it usually is when the audio in your car is low and distorted? Probably you did.

Yet I took my car to no fewer than five different places, 3 of which were recommended to me as good.

None of them knew what the problem actually was. Sure, two of them told me my radio-CD unit (built-in to the car's dashboard) was "knackered" to use their words, one even photographed the whole dashboard so that he could ask his mail order repairer if they could effect a repair for £110. Another repairer told me a fix would be £300 plus VAT. Neither of these even used a test meter or screwdriver, they just sat in my car and listened. My local garage said the same. I did a round trip of 105 miles to hear another recommended repairer tell me that as he'd found a small coin inside the radio my radio was finished and I'd need to buy a new one from Nissan or used on on eBay (these are a rare thing to find and cost £500 new, £200 used, sometimes £100 used but may not work if out of their original vehicle unless reset by the authorised service centre). I was charged diagnostics fees by some of these experts, none of whom wanted to do the repair themselves.

That's 5 different parties who are said to be qualified to repair in-car audio, all of whom had the chance to check what they were saying, although only 2 of them actually pulled the unit out of the car to try to look at the wiring at the back of the unit.

So, what was the actual problem in the end? Was it a £300 fix, a faulty radio-CD, a mysterious wiring short, a bluetooth kit badly removed, a broken amp or some such?

Er, no. It was the simplest of simple things. 1 of the 4 speakers was missing from the NSF, the OSF speaker was damaged inside the door, the 2 rear speakers ditto, someone had obviously blasted music in the car very regularly before I bought it. So then, the problem was simply install 4 good speakers. Total cost of this? £40 delivered from a seller on eBay (Boss, great value speakers). Problem solved. The worst part is getting the interior door trim panels back on, but I managed it. I now have my radio and CD working fine, £300 saved, although of course I wasted a fair amount of money paying the aforementioned "experts" for a diagnosis which was entirely wrong. I am just amazed at them, I really am amazed, and not in a good way.

Got distorted sound or low volume or both - first check the speakers!

I've posted this here in the hope it will save someone else the 3 months of messing around I've just been through, and money loss.

(PS yes it was me who checked the speakers myself in the end)

Edited by Lee1 on 07/06/2010 at 14:06

Any - Low, quiet or distorted in-car audio sound volume - Peter.N.

You did the right thing eventually. The speakers and associated wiring are the most likely to be affected by 'outside forces' the radio being pretty bombproof, but if it does go faulty its unlikely to be worth repairing or even possible to repair.

I was a radio and TV engineer for over 50 years, in the days when you could repair things, not only are they very difficult to repair now but most of the parts suppliers have gone the same was as the TV shops.

Well Peter, I should have got off my behind and done it in the first place as you suggest. However, given that the dash looks intimidating (the N-form console) to someone like me who hasn't tackled an audio installation since my 528 in the 80s, I thought I'd best not be a tightwad and take it to the expert and expert and expert and expert and expert. Until I ran myself up a bill of about £100 and got absolutely nowhere. Then I found an audio firm that does repairs by post but they couldn't help me and directed me to Clarion's service centre (they are first class, really good) in Leigh, Wilts. They do repairs for about £60, a lot less than £500 for a new unit from Nissan, they also do exchange units for about £200, again ditto. However, they took a look at mine and next day phoned me to say "Nothing wrong with your unit, who told you your unit was broken?" Very fast service from Clarion, I had my unit back in 4 days along with a note certifying no sound fault. They had told me previously that even if it had a sound fault it would probably only cost £60 or so to fix. But they found nothing wrong at all. In my car, you cannot fit any other radio than that model or you lose functionality of the screen display, steering wheel control of audio, steering wheel control of Info (eg mpg, tripometer etc).

In the end, I thought I'll just check the speakers and wiring myself, and speculated a small amount on a pair of speakers on eBay (strictly speaking need 4, but for experimental purpioses 1 or 2 would do). If only I'd have done this in the first place, but I just lacked the belief in my own ability to deal with the N-form, however it's a pussycat once you know where the screws and clips are. By far the worst part is getting the door trim inner panels back on, the hardest of any car I've ever had to do that on although I've only owned 7 cars (Vectra nearly as bad).

Edited by Lee1 on 07/06/2010 at 16:40

Any - Low, quiet or distorted in-car audio sound volume - Peter.N.

Your experience with Clarion is quite refreshing, most people can't even be bothered to look , though to be fair, I wouldn't, stuff is just so difficult to work on now.

Clarion service were first class, Peter, even spent time on the phone explaining to me how to use a multimeter to test the impedance of the car's speakers and wires. But when I saw the wiring's impedance seemed okay I realised it was as obvious and easy as can be - all the speakers except the tiny pillar speakers were damaged.

The question is, what did the former owner do on a 6 year old car to blow all the car's speakers? I mean ALL of them (and one of the four was missing completely). I've been a driver for 23 years and never had even one speaker go in any of my 7 cars until this car which came to me like this. The rear speakers are round rather than elliptical like the front's. But both rears have also gone - both with distorted and soft sound. Is it water ingress (as these are door speakers too) that does that or playing music too loud or too much, any clues? These were quality Panasonic speakers that went, not any old rubbish. Most Panasonic things I've ever owned are still working decades later, right from the days when they were called National and National Panasonic. They must have had some extraordinary treatment.

Of course, the brand new Boss speakers I fitted to the front are excellent, but for the rears I've got some even cheaper ones to fit, Nissan or Panasonic speakers are 4x the price so not replacing like with like.

Edited by Lee1 on 08/06/2010 at 22:55

Any - Low, quiet or distorted in-car audio sound volume - colin stuart oldfield

Hi I have a 1991 Ford Scorpio. The radio has been excellent until last week, when the volume reduced to about 20% of it's former level. Although very low volume the sound is clear ( not loud enough when driving ) When messing with the fade I can hear a distinct sound from the left hand speaker... Is it possible that this is a faulty speaker ? and, if I replaced it would that solve the problem...It's obviously highly unlikely that all 4 speakers have gone off at the same time...

Cheers , Colin

Any - Low, quiet or distorted in-car audio sound volume - Bolt

Hi I have a 1991 Ford Scorpio. The radio has been excellent until last week, when the volume reduced to about 20% of it's former level. Although very low volume the sound is clear ( not loud enough when driving ) When messing with the fade I can hear a distinct sound from the left hand speaker... Is it possible that this is a faulty speaker ? and, if I replaced it would that solve the problem...It's obviously highly unlikely that all 4 speakers have gone off at the same time...

Cheers , Colin

could be the fader they failed often just after the car was released, does it have amp and graphic qualizer as some did some didnt

Check speakers as a matter of course as age can dry them out and crack them, and have known more than one to fail at once so not impossible