V5 and taking a new car abroad - Martin Wall
Hi - a friend collected his brand new car yesterday that he plans to take abroad next week - unfortunately he forgot that you don't get the V5 for a number of weeks and you do need to take this when you travel abroad - don't you?

What other options does he have - is there any way to speed up the delivery of the V5?

Also, should he have been given any paperwork by the dealer - he handed over his bankers draft and was given the car, keys and service book - he didn't get a receipt or any other paperwork - is this normal?

cheers

Martin
Re: V5 and taking a new car abroad - Andrew Bairsto
I cannot say whether this is normal but I can say that certificate of ownership and logbook are compulsary to have in your vehicle in all mainland europe
Re: V5 and taking a new car abroad - John Slaughter
Andrew

If it's a company car you don't have the V5. However, there is an official Form (forgotten the number) that the owner provides to confirm that you have permission to use the car outside the UK. These forms are valid for a year.

I've taken company cars abroaad several times using this - not that I've evr had to produce anthing at all!

regards

john
Re: V5 and taking a new car abroad - Michael Luck
John
The form that you get for a company car is a VE103, valid for one year. Cost is about a fiver, from your leasing company, or the AA used to do it when they had shops! It just states that you, while not being the owner, are authorized to take the vehicle out of the country. A word of warning - if you do bother to get one, check the details. I found the VIN number was wrong on mine, obviously carelessly entered into the system by the leasing company. I had visions of me discussing with a French or Spanish (gun-carrying) cop, why my documents were 'not in order'.... I know this is a bit late but I have only just spotted your entry.
Re: V5 and taking a new car abroad - peter
I had this problem 4 years ago. It is solved by going to your local Vehicle Licensing office who will issue a 'temporary' document that satisfies (in theory) the requirements of foreign countries. I cannot remeber doc no but if you need it let me know and I will get details. In fact I have kept that document in the vehicle permanently for frequent foreign travel.

However I have never had to produce docs other 'Green card' (altho no longer rqd fro EEC) from travels inc Turkey Greece Czech and western Europe.

I did have a discussion with the French Police on one occasion who were satisfied that the reason that I did not have a log book for my then Comany Car was that if had the papers I could then sell the car. Explaining that if I did that my boss would not be happy! They were amused and amicable thereafter.
Re: V5 and taking a new car abroad - Andrew Bairsto
The German police or Ausrtian may not be so obliging certainly an undersigned copy is ok and always some means of photographic Id with address (not a passport).The problem is that all vehicles in mainland Europe have two log books one short and one with full details ,the small one must be always in the vehicle ,you cannot sell the car without the large version.If you are stopped without
the relevent documents at worst the car will be enpounded and the plates removed .Normally this will apply if there is any form of traffic violation or accident better to have loads of bits of paper than none.
Also on another note do not forget first aid kit,sparebulbs spare glasse if you wear them and if possible to change your rear fog light to the other side
Re: V5 and taking a new car abroad - Martin Wall
- is there any way to get a V5 *really quickly* from the DVLA, or is this a lost cause?
Re: V5 and taking a new car abroad - Martin Wall
I'd appreciate it if you give me details of this doc. thanks
Re: V5 and taking a new car abroad - Stuart Bruce
Hi Andy,
I am sure this has been covered before, re red triangle, first aid kit, spare bulbs, spare classes (oh no lets not start that again) I mean glasses, I would feel distinctly miffed if I got a pull for only having a rear fog on the RHS of the vehicle. Surely if the motor has an E approval its OK? or are you saying it just increases the risk of getting a stop?

Re the photo id + address I have to say that, as a (hopefully mainly) law abiding individual I cannot see why in UK we do not have some form of ID card. Its an absolute bugger when you are asked for your id and a passport is no good but an electricity bill is OK. I can hear the civil liberties lot winding up into gear but my stance is that if you are worried about someone knowing your ID then you are up to something no good. Or am I being naive?

regards,
Stuart
Re: V5 and taking a new car abroad - Tim Guymer
and a fire extinguisher in Belgium!
Re: V5 and taking a new car abroad - Dave N
If ever there was an advert for not joining the EU, this must be it. Carry this, carry that, no wonder they're so worried about emisions, it's all the wieght you have to carry.
Re: V5 and taking a new car abroad - Gwyn Parry
Didn't the RAC/AA provide a service of a similar nature ? some sort of multilingual document that confirmed ownership,,
Re: V5 and taking a new car abroad - peter
Further to my previous posting the relevant Form in 1996 was a V379 issued by a Vehicle Registration Office over the counter. If I remeber rightly I had to provide a proof of purchase ie Invoice in my name from the sellin garage, showing Regn no.

Since this is first time in 5 years that i have looked at it, I note that it is only valid for 12 months from date of issue!
Re: V5 and taking a new car abroad - mark
Hi Martin

you can get a V5 quickly from Swansea, I lost mine shortly before I was to PX it. I phoned Swansea, ignored all the phone number menus and spoke to somebody. After explaining my predicament they asked me to fax a letter confirming I was the owner and why i needed a new V5 and hey presto 3 working days later a new one was on my doormat.

One of the few times I have been impressed by the service given by a government department, sorry agency.

There a bit of grovelling never did any harm

regards

Mark