goldfish - wotspur

My children, 8 and 6, won a goldfish at a fair and since saturday has been swimming around a pyrex dish - now never having had one before -what is their life expectancy in such an item

Should we go to the expense of buying a tank and will a filter be needed and get him a few mates or are they more hassle and worth telling the kids it died and actually give it away

any advice would be appreciated -like how often should the water be changed etc -cheers

goldfish - billy25

We still have half a dozen goldfish that were won at the "fair" 10years ago! and they are still going strong! - although i now breed Discus!

A tank is the best way to keep them, i say "them" because as Carp they are a shoal fish, an easy calculation to use is 1" of fish to 1" of tank length, therfore the commenest standard sized tank (36x12x15/18) will comfortably hold upto 10 3"fish (measured from snout tip to tail fork).

Change about 10% of water volume at each change only, (keeps bacterial levels fairly stable), use a gravel-syphon to clean gravel at same time as removing water.

The two commonest types of filter are air-pump powered bubble-box or under gravel uplift - i dont recommend either of these two methods, or electric internal power filter such as the fluval range, for a 3ft tank use either 2x fluval 2`s (best) or 1 x fuval 3.

Dont try to grow real plants if you are using air powered filtration, plants dont like it, and will tend to die and encourage an algae plague!! ;-(

until you get familiarised with keeping fish keep it simple! - artificial plants can look good! and are easy to remove and clean.

Lighting, use an ordinary 2ft aqarium flourescent (on a timer) if using only artificial plants/decor, or 2x 3ft growlux type tubes if real plants.

finally remember - you dont keep the fish! you keep the water! (you will need to buy and use test kits to test for Nitrite and Nitrate levels, Nitrite is byproduct of the fish waste (ammonia) and is deadly to fish, Nitrate is safer but in high levels can be just as deadly, however plants can utilise it as food!) keep that right and the fish will flourish! and they`re better to watch than the telly!

p.s tip!!

Lumps of coal used as decorative rocks also look very nice in a tank, and as carbon will help to mop up toxins to a degree, however you will need to change them at least once a year!

goldfish - Avant

As Billy rightly implies, it's quite a commitment - and as your children are too young to do more than help, you and your other half will be the ones doing the work. I think you either have to get a tank etc. and more fish or find a friend with a pond.

We had them for several years and the worst bit is cleaning out the tank.

goldfish - pda

Find a friend with a pond and set it free to live a natural life.

Pat

goldfish - wotspur

thank you all for your answers.

Pat - couldn't agree more - if my 8yr old hadn't gone off with friends, he'd never have been able to try and win it if he'd stayed with us -but they've got to have some freedom to spend money on what they want and learn about life

Once it was won I thought providing they do the work, with our help, they'll learn what it takes to look after something other than themselves and that things live and die (probably ) - hence the question and should we go to the expense of tank and filter etc - cheers everyone

goldfish - pda

I couldn't agree with you more about children and it is only by having pets they learn to care about nature and animals.

As a compromise, how about looking on your local Freecycle for a small fish tank and then going to the pet shop to get Freddie to go with Freda, and I'm sure they would survive without the pump and all the associated stuff.

If you point out that the minute the kids don't look after them, they go to a neighbours pond, then a good lesson will have been learned:)

Pat

goldfish - pmh3

Just keep putting off he investment in a tank and extras. As soon as you buy a tank the fish will die. You are then into a spiral of spending to get replacements to support the spending on the tank.

Get a cat and leave the lunch in the pyrex dish on the kitchen table. Further education of the kids that life is a terminal condition.

Edited by pmh3 on 15/05/2010 at 20:57