VW Golf III diesel 1996 - No fuel going into engine - golfermk3

Hi there,

I'm having problems starting my golf diesel mk3, and i've noticed that fuel is not getting to the engine. I checked out the fuel relay and fuse, the fuel filter and it seems that the fuel pump may be the culprit.

I've been advised that it may be the lift pump, so my question is whow difficult it may be to replace by myself? and where to get the part?

Also, I read on another thread that if timing if too slow that could be the problem, is this true?

Any input is very welcome!!

thanks

Noel

VW Golf III diesel 1996 - No fuel going into engine - Peter.N.

If it uses a conventional rotary pump it doesn't have a lift pump, the problem is likely to be the fuel solonoid on the pump, unless it has a coded key pad the solonoid should be visible on top of the pump toward the back, there will be a wire connected to it, first check for 12 volts with the ignition on, if its there it will likely be the solonoid, it just unscrews from the pump, but this all depends on the type of pump fitted.

Thanks for prompt response ! Im just wondering, how big is the fuel solenoid..I had the impression that the fuel solnoid was a fairly big part.

Its quite small really, I have just looked on ebay and there is one there for £12.00, item number 130364874262 you can see the picture.

Superb! i had a look on ebay. I truly appreciate your help and fast response

thanks again

do you know where I could get a rotary pump for my car and how much it is likely to cost?

One on ebay for £40.00 item no 390192871681

thanks Peter

VW Golf III diesel 1996 - No fuel going into engine - Big John

Can be caused by an air leak - Fuel filter connections?