Ford Mondeo Ghia TDCI 115 - Mondeo TDCI 115 strange noise - nemerson33

I purchased a 54 plate Mondeo GHIA TDCI 115 last October and so far hasn't been a bad car, averaging a good 56mpg up to 66mpg on some journeys. Since I bought it however there has been a strange noise. Let me try and explain. When you rev the engine and let it come down to idle there is a weird almost sc***ing metallic noise coming from the front of the car. It has been into the garage a few times as I am concerned that it sounds almost like the gearbox but the garage assures me it isn't. They have said that it is the air rushing into the inter-cooler making the noise? Yesterday the hose from the inter-cooler to the EGR valve has split causing me a loss in power and a gushing noise when accelerating. The MPG has plummeted as well and is now doing a lousy 44mpg! The car has done nearly 150k, could this be a sign of things starting to go or should I not be worried about it? The garage is replacing the hose next week but the sc***ing noise is still there? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Neil.

Ford Mondeo Ghia TDCI 115 - Mondeo TDCI 115 strange noise - nemerson33

that should say a "s c r a p i n g" noise!

Ford Mondeo Ghia TDCI 115 - Mondeo TDCI 115 strange noise - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)

Air rushing into the intercooler, mmm interesting!

Could be related to the two piece harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley) which may be breaking up. Any deterioration of power steering operation?

These engines do suffer with timing chain stretch, if allowed to get really bad the chain jumps and it's 'goodnight vienna' so get it looked at.