Honda Civic - storing car for 3 or 4 months - DennisPennis

I have to store my car in a garage for 3/4 months.
Any suggestions on how to keep it in order?

I have read suggestions of a trickle charger but the garage has no access to solar or electricity. Also, should I overpump the tyres and by how much?

Leave out of gear, handbrake off?

Honda Civic - storing car for 3 or 4 months - sumpnut

Before storage the car should be clean and dry, take it for a good run to heat and dry the exhaust system.

Reverse into the garage, remove the battery, pack under the wiper blades to keep them off the screens, tape over the end of exhaust pipe.

Cover the car with cotton sheets.

It's wise to have a full tank of petrol, leave out of gear, hand brake off, chock wheels, surrender the tax and put on sorn.

Don't worry about the tyres for such a short storage time just check everything over when you come to put the car back on the road.

Good luck, Sumpnut

What does the tape over the exhaust do and can I use gaffa/duct or something else?

Can I just disconnect one cable from the battery or do both need to be done. How likely is the battery to go flat after 3 months?

Honda Civic - storing car for 3 or 4 months - NARU

If the garage is secure its worth disconnecting the battery, possibly leave the handbrake off and the car in gear. But for 3/4 months I wouldn't take any other special precautions. I store my motorbike and caravan over winter for longer than that with no ill effects.

Won't leaving it IN gear allow the possibility for it to seize up?
Honda Civic - storing car for 3 or 4 months - sumpnut

The tape over the exhaust open end prevents air and moisture entering the system causing corrosion, not strictly necessary for such a short layup.

I suggest battery removal becuase older batteries can self discharge over 4 months and some cars have systems working all the time. Back the car in to give you room, remove the battery, you can now condition charge it at your leisure and the car is more difficult to steal.

The gearbox will not seize up in or out of gear and taking it for a good run before laying it up hot means oil has reached all those important places.

If laying up in winter make sure washer systems have correct antifreeze.

Can I just disconnect the negative and leave it or do I need t disconnect the positive as well?

Honda Civic - storing car for 3 or 4 months - bathtub tom

Just disconnecting either lead will have the desired effect.

I was also advised to spray WD40 around the engine compartment to deter rodents from chewing wires and pipes.

Honda Civic - storing car for 3 or 4 months - nb857

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it is due for a service do it before you store it. Other than that fill her up with fuel and you might want to take the live lead off the battery.

Our combine harvester sits in the shed 10 months of the year. When it's put away it is washed, greased, fuelled and left in the corner of the shed.

We also regularly have tractors stood for a few months from the end of October, sometimes they are washed,usually not. You car could well have been standing in an open lot for several months before it was delivered new.

you might want to take the live lead off the battery.

I thought you had to disconnect the negative first...always?