Ford Focus 1999 1.6 Ghia - Firing on 3 cylinders (I think!!) - Hot Fuse

Hello, my brothers Focus suddenly started firing on 3 cylinders. Thats how it seems anyway.

Plugs, leads, coil-pack all replaced (they were over-due anyway) still the same :(

I tried to identify which cylinder wasn't firing by removing a lead at a time so when I removed the lead on the cylinder that was at fault there would be no difference in tick over. Removing either 1, 2, 3, or 4 causes the idle to become very lumpy and it stalls suggesting that all 4 are firing and the problem lies with something other than a plug not sparking when it should.

Apart from the diagnostics is there any other tests I can do / try to try and narrow this down. Does the focus have a blinking ecu light thingy that my astra does when I press accelerator + break and count the flashes?

Any advice greatly appreciated he's already spent a fortune getting through the last MOT!

Ford Focus 1999 1.6 Ghia - Firing on 3 cylinders (I think!!) - elekie&a/c doctor

I think my next step would be to carry out a cylinder compression test.No blink codes on these.hth

Ford Focus 1999 1.6 Ghia - Firing on 3 cylinders (I think!!) - Hot Fuse

Thanks. It's been to garage and diagnostics found problems with number 3 cylinder/valves. Compression test then showed cylinder 3 was reading 0.

He said dodgy valve......Cost £400 to repair.

Is this a normal repair cost for a valve replacement?