Citroen C3 - Intermittent digital speedometer failure - Geranium

My 2002 C3 has been almost problem-free until this Spring when the front windscreen wipers failed. Then we had a cracked windscreen, followed by a stress-cracked windscreen 3 days after the original replacement. The second replacement took place in rain and a strong wind. AutoWindscreens erected an awning to protect their work, but when I used the car a few hours later I was dismayed to find that the speedo was reading nought as I accelerated down the road. Later I found that the speedo would start working inexplicably from time to time, together with the mileometer, but it never functioned for more than a few hours.
I wondered whether Autowindscreens inadvertantly, or some stray drops of rain blowing under the awning might have been responsible, but Autowindscreens disclaimed responsibility. So I took it to my local garage, who are usually good. They did everything they normally do to a speedo cable, but to no avail, and the speedo failure is now total, rather than intermittent.
Has anyone else experienced this failure of a digital speedo display, and if so do you know a remedy?