Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - nttwill

Hi All

Just after some advice, put the car in for MOT and service last week with a garage we have used for a few years, the car for a few months has made a ticking noise, it sounds like a diesel, more so when starting it up and when stood stationary but it is noticable all the time. The mechanic has looked into it and says that a valve in the cam head is going due to the Astra's vast need for regular oil and it is a matter of time before the engine packs up for good, it could be days, weeks or months.......... he says the engine needs replacing and for a second hand engine fitted - quoted me £600. I am taking it elsewhere for a second opinion, any advice/or has someone seen this problem before?

Thanks

N

Top Reply

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - mickyh7

Noise engine tappets!!

This should take you there-It was on a different forum !

Where are you based ? If your close I'll do it for you.

Any way, take the rocker cover off you'll see the camshaft,it has 4 lobes.Each lobe has a small oilway,conected right through the camshaft.Blow air,with a 12 volt tyre inflator through each hole(you'll have to turn the engine manually for this to see all 4,dont try to start the car or you will end up covered in oil ) ! Youll feel resistance when you find the blocked hole,that lobe will probally be worn/shiny keep the pressure on until it POP'S out.There is also a hole at the end of the camshaft-same again.

This worked for me so good luck.

p.s. I used an rubber airbed adaptor attached to the tyre pump.

If this fails it may be a hydrockic lifter has stopped working-£10 each from a Motor Factor,but you'll need a speacial tool to get them out leaving the cam insitu,again about £10

All Replies

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - mickyh7

Mine done this -blocked camshaft oilway.Sorted with tyre inflater with rubber ring adapter to blow through the camshaft. Easy . Noise stopped straight away !- Search my old posts for how to do .

Good Luck.

Edited by mickyh7 on 19/04/2010 at 00:07

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - 1litregolfeater

That is so cool.

So how about a diesel flush and changing oil every 1000 miles.

The 'Plug' of muck that I 'fired' out was rock hard,like an airgun pellet when it came out.

I dont think flush would have moved that. Poor or no oil changes proberly caused it.The cam lobe was well marked as well through oil starvation.

What I did really was simple ! And no need to remove anything other than the Rocker Cover.

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - nazrul187

Hi Mickyh7

Ive ben looking for your previous posting regarding this matter; but I cannot find it.

My car is making the same noise but I am not too sure how to do what you said. If you could give me a link to your old posting id be very grateful.

Thanks

Noise engine tappets!!

Any way, take the rocker cover off you'll see the camshaft,it has 4 lobes.Each lobe has a small oilway,conected right through the camshaft.Blow air,with a 12 volt tyre inflator through each hole(you'll have to turn the engine manually for this to see all 4,dont try to start the car or you will end up covered in oil ) ! Youll feel resistance when you find the blocked hole,that lobe will probally be worn/shiny keep the pressure on until it POP'S out.There is also a hole at the end of the camshaft-same again.

If this fails it may be a hydrockic lifter has stopped working-£10 each from a Motor Factor,but you'll need a speacial tool to get them out leaving the cam insitu,again about £10

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - wallacesri
Hi I have a noisy engine too! Also wen I put my foot down the acceleration drops and car jolts??

Is any one near Nottingham that could help me out please?
It's a 03 astra 2.2 Sri thankyou will be greatley appreciated
Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - neilgoody

hi there

my astra 2.2 has started making these noises now did you find a soloution for the problem

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - Englishbullterrier

Noise engine tappets!!

A lifter can be changed without removing the cam ! Wow, how's that done then ??..ebt

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - andyman1977

hi i have the same problem do you no anyone who could help me as i dony no much bout cars

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - Jav
Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - kaps

HI Micky - is there anyways possible for you to do this for me too please> I am not at all technical person but will be grateful to you if you could resolve this issue of mine please !

Thanks

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - Joe123

Hi micky, I have this issue with my 04 astra 1.4, I've just had the timing belt done for £250 thinking it was that. Can you do the pump method on my car and help me out please mate, I'll give you some money like. I live in Leeds.

Cheers

Joe

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - Fahim
Do you have a number or email that I can directly contact you regarding the problem?
Thanks
Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - Tyron Michell

Where are you based mate?

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - Nikki Harris

Mine has started making this noise too don't no what to do amy one help

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - neilgoody

hi there

just had the same thing started happening on my astra 2.2 sounds like a loud diesel did you find a soloution for the problem or was it an engine change / get rid

thanks

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - kaps

HI there,

I just bought a used Astra 1.6 life from Network Q dealer 3 months ago which had done only 10,500 miles at that time. I am facing the same issue of rattling and my car sounds like a diesel one too!! I showed it to the dealer they changed the Cam Spokes and timing kit but the noise is not gone still. I am finding it very annoying ! Please can you help and advise !!

Where are you based ?

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - andyman1977

hi im based in middlesborough could you help me ?

Sorry I'm in Leeds.
Any one who can take the Rocker Cover off could unblock an oil hole in the Cam,it might be possible with a needle ?
Take it to your local Independent Garage.
I bet they wont charge very much.
Good Luck.
Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - speighty83
Hi mickyh7 I'm getting the same tapping noise from my 04 1.8 sri I've bin told by a few people different reasons why my engine is making a noise like my cam, Altinator bearings and timing was maybe out? Does your way work?

Jonathan
Wakefield

Edited by speighty83 on 31/07/2012 at 15:37

Well it worked for me !

But I found my problem,then dealt with it.

I originally thought it was my hydraulic lifters.

Also,this was years and years ago !

Newer cars are more sophisticated than 15 year old 8 valve Astra's !

In my opinion :)

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - RT

8 valve Vauxhalls weren't sophisticated 15 years ago - the 1.6 8v Family I engine dates from 1979 and is essentially unchanged internally since then although fuel injection was standardised in the early 1990s.

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - AaronR
If you run a car with a worn tappet, what will happen? Can I expect it to bang at any stage?
Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - PeteRich1987
Sorry I'm in Leeds. Any one who can take the Rocker Cover off could unblock an oil hole in the Cam,it might be possible with a needle ? Take it to your local Independent Garage. I bet they wont charge very much. Good Luck.

Hey, I've been having the same problem with my astra for a long time now and have had different things changed. One mechanic said it was the inlet manifold and replaced it and made no difference. A mechanic from the AA said it sounded like te camshaft but didn't look too closely as it was at the roadside :). I'm in Leeds if you could possibly help me, I would be eternally grateful! Thanks Pete

I too would be eternaly gratefull if a total stranger was to turn up at the weekend and fix my car for free !

Just take it to a garage and put your hand in your pocket.

Or, like me, get a Manual, go out into the cold with the tools that you have bought over the years and have a go yourself ?

I only ever offered to help one person,years ago.

Now lots of people are asking if I can fix their cars for them years later !!!

I was born at night, but not last night ?

ATB - Mick

Edited by mickyh7 on 23/11/2012 at 15:07

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - Csmith
Hi did you happen to find out the problem at all as I am having the same problem ??
Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - 1litregolfeater

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, I may offer some timely advice. I do feel compelled to reply.

Although mickyh7 may appear to be some kind of working class hero, there are no easy fixes to a knackered engine.

With "Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel" you will need one of the following;

1. a new engine

2. a good 2nd hand engine off ebay or scrapyard

3. fix it youself.

Option 3 may not be cheap, as it's a lot of work, and the parts are expensive. You won't know until you take it apart. Option 3 is best for those with time on their hands or who need a hobby.

Option 2 is fraught with danger as it might be more knackered than the old one.

Option 1 is too expensive.

And that is where Mickey comes in, with his almost religious promises. Forget it, there are no easy fixes.

You will have to spend a lot of money or time to get it fixed, or get shut of it.

Your name just about says it all really...

1litregolfeater

There are loads of cheap/easy fixes about.

We all cant just 'ask Daddy for a new one'

But I do love the 'working class hero bit !

t***** !

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - octopus

Hi Mick

It would be great if you can post pics of what you mean by Rocker Cover and how to get it off plus the location of the cam valves. My Astra 1.6 2003 reg has also developed the tapping noise problem.

Also, the car seems to consume a lot more oil than before, si this related to the tapping noise? Thanks

Edited by octopus on 08/03/2013 at 14:44

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - mookie01

I am an automotive technician you way off track with talking of engine replacement, you must be one of these guys that replace a whole car if a taillights broken LOL, what it simply is are new hydraulic valve lifters are needed it is an hour and a halfs work it is not hard, install one bank of hydraulic lifters on the side you hear the tappet noise, plenty of youtube videos on how to do it if you get stuck , the cost in Australian dollars would be around $117 for 8 hydraulic valve lifters thats only me though i get trade prices normally $130 aussie dollars, and some lithium grease is needed to hold the hydraulic valve lifters in place when reassembling and if you wish a new valve cover/rocker cover gasket and a tiny bit of high temp gasket goo,also soak the new hydraulic lifters in oil overnight before install and mate we are all working class heroes down under, enough with your drama and telling people they need new engines you sound like an amatuer

Edited by mookie01 on 28/10/2015 at 02:11

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - ED731PDH

While you are at it, take the cam cover off and see if you hae dep-ahser pullys fitted, grasp each pully andf if you can move it with a clicking sound they are shot and need changing before they fully fail.

Vauxhall Astra 04 LS 8v - Ticking noise, petrol engine sounds like a diesel - edlithgow

Phaser pulleys I'm guessing.

For people who want pictures of a rocker cover, there are lots on the Internyet. Kittens too.

Here's some. I think there are also some phaser pulleys, though maybe not labelled as such.

You can turn the perky music off. Likely to give you a right pain in the phaser pulley, if you didn't already have one, but don't miss the diagnostic diesel impersonation at the start.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QEZ8YGgQ_4

Edited by edlithgow on 07/06/2021 at 02:48