Various - MOT build quality - Cheeky

Well, I'm in the mood for a 5pm G&T after my 11 year old BMW E36 Convertible sailed through its MOT test this afternoon. 88000 miles etc.

Enough gloating, but on speaking with the mechanic I was surprised to see an 05 Megane sitting in a corner requiring many £££ to pass:

At 55000 miles, our French friend required news discs all round, two new shocks, some bearing or other, two CV joints, and a new power steering rack. Under-engineered, poor build, abused or just wear and tear?-- Who knows... I.thought it surprising though on a car so recent.

Various - MOT build quality - primeradriver

I think most of this is down to how the car is treated to be honest.

That said, I have never had a Japanese car fail on anything serious other than when the rot finally takes hold at around 13 years old or so. They just seem to sail through up to that point.

My mechanic tells me that he sees Fiats mostly failing at an early age. Some with very serious defects.

I have to say that I would be most unimpressed with any car under 10 years old that hit me with an MOT bill of more than £150.

Various - MOT build quality - Marc

"I have to say that I would be most unimpressed with any car under 10 years old that hit me with an MOT bill of more than £150."

With a car looked after properly, throughout the year, you shouldn't have to face a large bill at MOT time as you will already be on top of things. Are you suggesting a £150 repair bill is unacceptable on a car less than 10 years old?

> Are you suggesting a £150 repair bill is unacceptable on a car less than 10 years old?

Indeed so, largely for the reason you mention.

I have *never* had a bill for more than a nominal sum on any car at MOT time, other than those cars which have rot which is pretty much unavoidable after it sets in.

Looking back at the MOT bills I've had over the last few years, the "work" done has been for silly things only. A couple of indicator bulbs insufficiently orange, one headlight slightly out of alignment (facing slightly down) and one ABS sensor where the light came on four days before the car was due to go in and the fault did not have any effect on the brakes (tested), so the decision was made to do the two together. That was on a 12-year-old Daewoo as well, the car otherwise passed and was a relatively expensive one at £110 all in (Korean parts being Korean parts and all that). Three examples where oldish (9/11 years old) cars went straight through.

If a car had degenerated so quickly that I was unable to keep on top of it I would be thoroughly displeased.

Actually sorry I missed the nuance of your comment. No of course a £150 non-MOT bill isn't unacceptable (although it is painful!), and to be honest neglect must have played a part in the rather amusing list of fail points on this Megane. A car shouldn't be left in such a state for so long unless it's had it and the owner is running it into the ground.

Point is though that for a steering rack to fail at 5 years / 55K takes some doing, and must have taken some serious abuse to reach that point. I don't think the rack has been replaced on my 255K Primera, and it certainly hasn't in the 70K I've had it.

And it's not as if I treat that old bus like it's made of solid gold or anything either. It's mechanically sound, but the bodywork is shabby and unwashed. I don't care -- the bits that propel the car along the road are all I care about.

Still, the change is coming and I just hope some of these comments are not indicative of an apparent downshift in the quality of newer vehicles.

Edited by primeradriver on 14/04/2010 at 01:39

"No of course a £150 non-MOT bill isn't unacceptable (although it is painful!), and to be honest neglect must have played a part in the rather amusing list of fail points on this Megane."

I agree with you completely. The catalogue of disaster on that Megane is certainly down to neglect, ignorance or both.

Individual cars do have their weak points though. On my Vectra C it's rear shockers and front springs - both common items that fail early apparently.

Edited by Marc on 14/04/2010 at 13:16

Various - MOT build quality - Avant

"Under-engineered, poor build, abused or just wear and tear?-- "

It could be any of those, or more lilkely a combination of them. French cars aren't rubbish - just rather more vulnerable to abuse than some others. BMWs cost more than Renaults, and maybe it'w when they get older that you cna see where saome of the money has gone.

That said, Japanese cars don't cost more than French: here I think the money has gone into the quality of the oily bits, rather than eye-catching designs, showroom appeal and sundry electrical gadgets (which are often the things that fail).

"At 55000 miles, our French friend required news discs all round, two new shocks, some bearing or other, two CV joints, and a new power steering rack."

The discs don't surprise me at all. They are seen more as a consumable these days (and priced as such). 55k is fine in my book for piece of mind alone.

Shockers (and any other suspension component) don't surprise me either given the state of our roads. The rest I don't know about.

Various - MOT build quality - DP

I would agree that regular maintenance should pick up any MOT relevant problems on any car (with the possible exception of exhaust emissions). I haven't had a nasty surprise at MOT time for a long time, partly because my cars get well serviced, and partly because modern components tend to fail slowly, i.e. you get warning of impending problems before it becomes drastic.

Took my 11 year old, 135,000 mile Golf mk4 in for its first test in my hands yesterday. Passed with only an advisory on the anti roll bar bushes, which my mechanic picked up when he serviced it a month or two ago, but I just haven't had chance to get done. This will be sorted next week. The point is, I knew about them, and I also knew they weren't bad enough to fail the test. As PrimeraDriver says, there were no surprises.

I suspect the Renault mentioned by the op hadn't had the privilege of regular servicing by a competent mechanic, otherwise most of that list would have been picked up before they became MOT fail points.

Various - MOT build quality - WellKnownSid

I was sat in the queue for the emissions test last year when the guy at the front with a 4 year old SEAT (on its first test) failed abysmally.

The owner was still protesting and sorting his paperwork when the next guy in a 1980's Peugeot sailed through.

Then I came along in my 2002 FIAT with 270k on the clock. Another pass. ;)

Of course, I have no doubt that we both had less stringent tests, but even so...

Various - MOT build quality - bathtub tom

>>a 4 year old SEAT (on its first test)

I hope it wasn't it's first test!

Yes, but in Spain which has adopted the 'minimum' EU standard for technical safety checks. First MOT test is at 4 years, then every 2 years until the age of 10, then every year.

Unless it's a commercial / car derived van or ex-rental car when it's at 2 years / 1 year / six months.

Unless it's on historic "H" plates - every 2 years until the age of 35 then every 5 years.

Various - MOT build quality - Victorbox

Your BMW will have cost two or three times what the Renault did, cost considerably more to service and repair and have far further to depreciate.

Edited by Victorbox on 14/04/2010 at 23:07

"Your BMW will have cost two or three times what the Renault did, cost considerably more to service and repair and have far further to depreciate."

Even so I still reckon that Renault has been neglected. I bet the OP has serviced his BMW in accordance with the schedule and attended to any items that need fixing/replacing when they occur. That's the difference IMO.

A friend of mine working at a main dealer for a non-premium brand reckons that they don't see cars much older than 18 months!

What's interesting is the number of people on here and other forums that have major / expensive problems with 3 - 6 year old cars that have been serviced outside the main dealer network.

Presumably this is because most of these cars have £99 services whereas the parts alone specified in the main dealer's service schedule probably come to more than that.

Various - MOT build quality - Cheeky

Yes indeed. I've actually only had it two years, and at 11 yrs old now it is way out of dealer servicing. Instead, I get the oil changed by my local excellent garage, and do the rest myself.

Whatever car we drive, I think the main thing is to listen out of the noises. I know I'm a 'car bore' but it amazes me the people that drive around blissfully unaware of the clunks, groans and other noises that their cars make until they are presented with a huge bill.

That little E36 BMW 318i though is one of the last with brilliant build quality. It really feels as if it could easily get to 150k. Of course, I don't know what problems are round the corner, but that gamble is all part of the fun of owning a cheap, fun runaround.

The E36 is a fantastic car - our neighbour has one. Looks amazingly simple and so well laid out under the bonnet, everything in easy reach apart from the starter motor I believe.

I'm still loving my 1988 W124 'weekend car'. Again, another classic before the accountants moved into head office. Drives like it's 22 weeks old, not 22 years.

I'm assured by other forums that the autobox may need a rebuild in another 100,000 miles or so, but the engine should last another 200,000 - 300,000 miles without too much work. ;)

Various - MOT build quality - corax

>> Your BMW will have cost two or three times what the Renault did, cost considerably >>more to service and repair and have further to depreciate

An E36 BMW? My E36 323 estate has cost peanuts to service, and apart from suspension replacements, hasn't needed any repairs. 153,000 miles and passed it's last MOT. This is all on the basis that you don't go to the main dealer of course.

I would say that some Renaults cost considerably more to repair than BMW's,due to expensive parts and illogically laid out components that wear out quickly, meaning much higher labour bills.

Edited by corax on 15/04/2010 at 19:16

Various - MOT build quality - DP

I would say that some Renaults cost considerably more to repair than BMW's,due to expensive parts and illogically laid out components that wear out quickly, meaning much higher labour bills.

You hit the nail on the head.

We had a 2004 Renault Grand Scenic for 18 months. In many ways, the best car we've ever owned. Practical, supremely comfortable, good to drive, well kitted out, brilliant dCi engine etc etc.

But.

Whatever went wrong with it, and there was a lot after 60,000 miles, cost an absolute fortune. I'm normally pretty good at estimating repair costs, but the Renault involved tearing up everything I knew and binning it. New clutch? That'll be a thousand pounds sir (and that was an indie!). 9 hrs labour. Front of the car has to virtually come to bits. Driveshaft gaiter gone? That'll be a complete new driveshaft at £300 if you go to Renault, because they won't sell you any of the bits separately. Plastic glass carrier snaps in the window regulator? £250 for a complete unit with motor and cables, because it isn't available separately. Power steering motor playing up? That's £1000 for a new steering column etc etc. And every single job was a nightmare. Even getting the engine undertray off where the captive nuts inside the chassis rail weren't welded properly, and detached, causing the bolt to turn.

A great car, engineered and built by monkeys. I've never loved and hated a car so much at the same time. If Honda built it, it would be amazing.

Various - MOT build quality - corax

DP

Renault, for some reason, seem to use plastic in many areas where metal would be better. Some time ago, we had a Renault Clio 1.2, and the clutch wouldn't adjust properly, so it needed a new adjuster. The plastic had broken on the old one. Why would you use this material on an area that gets serious day to day use? We also had a water leak somewhere from the engine. It turns out that a grommet had fallen out of the bottom of the inlet manifold, so the whole water heated inlet manifold had to come off to replace a grommet worth tuppence, at a cost of a few hundred pounds. And the high price of replacement parts doesn't make sense to me, considering they are the same quality as the part that broke in the first place.

I like Renaults for their looks, ride, refined diesels, and the current Clio 200 Cup is great, but I know that when the excitement dies down, there will probably be some expensive repair around the corner. Perhaps you should just look at them as a short term choice, then buy a replacement before things go wrong!

Various - MOT build quality - idle_chatterer

I've never loved and hated a car so much at the same time. If Honda built it, it would be amazing.

Actually after our recent experience of the build quality and some aspects of the production engineering in the latest generation Civic FK3 I'm not sure it would be quite the panacea you imagine....

A former colleague of mine works for Nissan in Sunderland, when Renault took their stake in Nissan and helped return it to profitability, one of the major cultural changes was the use of glue and plastic where metal screws and fixings had previously been used on Nissan's UK built cars.

Various - MOT build quality - AM

Had an E36 BMW 316i(1991 model) from 1994-2009. Final mileage was around 180000 miles when we got rid of it. Had it from 3 years old.Since I had it only 4 shock absorbers, front discs and exhaust was changed (once).

The rest was all original, NO other parts replaced except for oil,filters,plugs,pads,tyres etc.

That car only saw a garage workshop on four occasions in the 15yrs we had it-3 timing belts and once for the front shocks.The rest did myself. Buying parts from Eurocarparts it was a very cheap car to run.

Only got rid of it on sc***page scheme-was working perfectly when it went.