VW Golf - Warranty on parts after car repair - ajsdoc

General question - I had a clutch master cylinder replaced a few months ago due to the clutch pedal getting stuck down on my Golf. This cured the fault until a week ago when now it is back. Car into garage and they feel needs a new cylinder again and said yes that the part is covered by warranty. Gave me 2 options - take car to VW (part was apparently from them initially) let them take it apart and if found to be faulty the work will be free or (ii) they will do it, I'd pay in full for work to be done and the new part but then garage will send part back under warranty and reimburse me (but labour would remain payable).

Is this the standard way of things? I like my (independant) garage and have used tham for some years, I suppose I expected if they supply and fit a part and part is faulty under warranty then replacement would be free too. The current arrangement seems to pass responsibility for a faulty part to the manufacturer even though they source the parts and bill me for them (I've always assumed with something on top of the cost price).

Am I just being tight or should my contract for both labour and part be with them and only them? I've just let them get on with it today as car is with them already.

Edited by ajsdoc on 06/04/2010 at 14:45

VW Golf - Warranty on parts after car repair - maltrap

As you know and trust your independant, they must have come across this type of situation in the past, and they would be the best people to advise you.

Yes, they were ambivalent either way - told them to do the work and we'll see if reimbursement comes later.

Was more a question of who is responsible for parts if they fail inreasonable warranty period - supplying garage or manufacturer??

VW Golf - Warranty on parts after car repair - Graham567

If the garage fitted the part and its failed within 12 months then the garage should replace the faulty item free of charge and then take the faulty item back to where they bought it to be refunded.

Even though the item going faulty isn't the fault of your garage then they are still liable for the repair for the first 12 months.

I am an electrician and if a socket goes faulty within 12 months i am expected to go the the persons house and fit a new one(without charge) and then take the faulty one back to our wholesalers.

At no time will the manufactures pay me to replace their faulty goods.

Most trademen(and mechanics) will factor this failure rate into their prices and so it pays to try and fit quality fittings so the return rate is kept as low as possible.

Hope this helps.

Under no circumstances should you have to pay anybody for your car to be fixed under the warranty of that item.

Edited by Videodoctor on 06/04/2010 at 21:36

VW Golf - Warranty on parts after car repair - primeradriver

I think they're actually being generous on a part that they clearly (reading the subtext) think you're breaking with your driving style.

(Disclaimer: I make no assumption here on who is right and who is wrong, just making an observation!).

Take it to VW -- if it's a fault in the car you have nothing to worry about.

Does driver style affect the workings of a clutch master cylinder (serious question and no offence taken by the above)? I'm a long way from a boy racer and driven for a lot of years often taking cars past the 100,000 - never needed a clutch.

I didn't take it to VW mainly for hassle factor (my garage had the car already) and I imagine there would be some wriggle out and financial hit. As it is the new cylinder is in - pedal back to normal (old one only managed 10 months and less than 10,000 miles).

Paid the whole cost, garage claiming the part cost under warranty (warned me may take some time). Not created a fuss with the garage, nor did I want to - just interested in "normal practice". Looks like I take the labour hit, this irks me a little but not enough to move my custom this time.

VW Golf - Warranty on parts after car repair - DP

A clutch master cylinder cannot be damaged by driver abuse, and failure after 10 months is not your fault. Friction material, flywheels and release bearings can easily be trashed by poor driving / abuse, and I could understand trepidation on the part of the garage if it had been one of these that had failed, but a master cylinder should be a very straightforward warranty claim. The only way you could prematurely wear out a master cylinder in 10 months by your own action would be to sit in the car 24 hours a day, 7 days a week pumping the clutch pedal, and even then you'd be going some. Most cars will go to the sc***yard on their original clutch master cylinders.

I think you've been treated quite unfairly. It's not up to you to subsidise the garage while they wait to recover the warranty costs. It's down to them. I also don't think I've ever come across a guarantee on a repair that didn't include both parts and labour. As Videodoctor says, a good garage proprietor will factor this "unpaid work" into their pricing model.

As a loyal customer, I would be very disappointed to have been charged anything for this work, and especially to have to pay for the new part until the garage recovers the cost for the old one.

Edited by DP on 07/04/2010 at 09:58

VW Golf - Warranty on parts after car repair - jc2

If you paid the independent then it is their responsibilty.Warranty on parts fitted is normally 12 months.It is upto them,not you, to take it up with their supplier.