Mazda 323 - Claiming for tyre damage - J Bonington Jagworth

Living in an area where the roads are pretty bumpy at the best of times, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that a recent encounter with a pothole has damaged a tyre, but it was a very nasty bang, and I was quite surprised that there was no wheel damage. The tyre has stayed inflated, but has a pronounced bump where the sidewall meets the tread and will need replacing PDQ.

Is it worth taking up with the local highways dept? I know they've got their hands full with the frost damage, but I'm sure Nordic countries don't suffer this sort of disintegration every winter. Has anyone here successfully made a similar claim, or is it not worth bothering with? I imagine that proving cause and effect could be difficult, even though it seems obvious to me!

Mazda 323 - Claiming for tyre damage - Avant

Nice to see you on here again, JBJ.

If you google 'potholes' you'll find a useful website which should be able to help and advise.

Edited by Avant on 04/04/2010 at 23:47

Why, thank you, Avant! I could have used this site about a month ago when the car (which is really Mrs JBJ's) developed a curious misfire. The only time it has given any trouble, and HJ was closed for maintenance! It turned out to be the plug leads, which I had eliminated from enquiries as they were proper wire ones with silicone insulation, but a wily mechanic I know said change them anyway, and he was right, but I bet someone here would have known that too.

WRT the potholes, you're quite right. There is even a potholes.co.uk website, so it couldn't really be more obvious, but I'm still interested to know if anyone here has tried it. I'm not normally litigious, but when our senior council officers pay themselves more than the PM and then plead poverty, I find it hard to muster much sympathy.

Edited by J Bonington Jagworth on 05/04/2010 at 00:13

Mazda 323 - Claiming for tyre damage - stjarna

I had a similar incident a couple of years ago. I claimed directly to the council and (eventually) got a cheque for the full replacement cost of a new tyre. There weren't any big arguments or denials - it just took a while.

However it probably helped that I had previously reported the entire street as pretty strewn with potholes a couple of months earlier. I gather that councils can claim that if they don't know about road damage they're not liable.

Thanks, stjarna. I don't think our council can claim not to know about them, as it's been a constant item in the local paper since the snow melted, and, to be fair, they've been filling them in all over the place, although clearly it's difficult to keep up, as some of the holes are still pretty bad. I've taken photos of the tyre - should I hang on to it for evidence?

Edited by J Bonington Jagworth on 07/04/2010 at 00:10

Mazda 323 - Claiming for tyre damage - AlastairM

You should also keep a picture of the pothole as holes can disappear overnight leaving you with no evidence of the depth of the hole to suppoert your claim.

Mazda 323 - Claiming for tyre damage - Clk Sec
a picture of the pothole

Yes, indeed. I wouldn't drive anywhere without my camera 'phone.

I hope all is well with you, AM.

Clk Sec

Mazda 323 - Claiming for tyre damage - AlastairM

Thanks for the enquiry CLK just getting back up to speed after the long break in Feb/Mar!

You?

Mazda 323 - Claiming for tyre damage - Clk Sec
You?

In the pink, I hope!

Good to hear from you.