2000 Kia Sedona 2.9 TDi - Timing belt slipped - Will my valves be bent? - nowthenhonest

2000 Kia Sedona 2.9 TDi

I couldn't start my Sedona. Instead of turning the engine over it made a weird metallic grinding noise. I tried rocking it backwards and forwards to see if the engine was seized. When I tried to start it next time, it sounded like it was trying to throw the engine over once and then it was whirring. I thought it was just the starter motor that did not have the ability to turn the engine and was disengaging.

However, the AA man discovered that the timing belt was turning even when the whirring noise was occuring. There is no compression being produced at the exhaust. So he reckioned that the timing belt had slipped round and that when the pistons were trying to compress they were actually just pushing the gases back out of the intake, and so was just whirring without any resistance.

So, does this mean that my engine has been destroyed? What will have been damaged? Will my valves have all been bent?

It was a bad day.

Thanks

Edited by nowthenjohn on 04/04/2010 at 02:59

2000 Kia Sedona 2.9 TDi - Timing belt slipped - Will my valves be bent? - Collos25

The only real way is to strip the head off and have a look.

2000 Kia Sedona 2.9 TDi - Timing belt slipped - Will my valves be bent? - bathtub tom

First of all, I'd say you need to discover whether or not the timing belt has definitely gone.

If it has, you may have got away without causing serious damage if it's only had the starter turning it over.

It may be worth fitting just a new belt and seeing what happens.

2000 Kia Sedona 2.9 TDi - Timing belt slipped - Will my valves be bent? - Peter.N.

If its turning over fast with no apparant compression you can be pretty sure its sustained some damage.

2000 Kia Sedona 2.9 TDi - Timing belt slipped - Will my valves be bent? - scubajon

Some will, some won't. Depending on the valeve configuration and how many times you have turned it over, you will have probably have bent up to 8 vlaves