Nissan Micra - Need advice on repairing my car! - hlines

I'm 21 and although I'm a girl, i have some mechanical knowledge and want to do this myself instead of paying at a garage! If anyone can offer me some advice, I'd be very grateful! It is an M reg Micra.

My brakes sound "wierd" so i figured they needed new brake pads, I've taken off the front tyre and turned the wheel so i can see what I'm doing but when i look at it i have no idea where to go from there, It's all very rusty but i can see there are bolts that need to be removed but i cant seem to get the callipers away and dont want to force something thats not meant to move!

Also.. My engine wont start first time anymore, it takes ages to get him going (yes my car is a him, he is called Nigel!) when he does get going he stalls straight away even out of gear with the clutch in, he only keeps going if i give him lots of gas for a whileuntil he's warm. My dad says this could be spark plugs so this is what i intend to fix, any advice for this would be nice! Especially on what tools to use?

Ok last thing! It's been a while since i had him serviced so want to change his oil but dont know where to start! Is it something i can do or will i have to take him somewhere to get it done? Also, what do you do with the oil afterwards?

Thanks in advance!

H

Edited by hlines on 25/03/2010 at 08:39

Nissan Micra - Need advice on repairing my car! - bathtub tom

I'd suggest you buy a Haynes manual (other publishers are also available). That's where many people start. Your local library may even have them.

An experienced friend to look over your shoulder is an invaluable addition.

Nissan Micra - Need advice on repairing my car! - Peter.N.

Good advice.

Nissan Micra - Need advice on repairing my car! - Peter D

As the brakes are a safety critical item then i would advise you seek some hand on assistance with this or take it to a reputable garage. It does not sound as though you have any experience with such matters. Perhaps you should declare where you live and someone on here may be able to direct or assist you. Regards Peter

My dad said he'd help and although he is very good with things like this, he isnt a mechanic. I live in Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham

H

Nissan Micra - Need advice on repairing my car! - Diamond

I agree with Peter D. When it comes to brake work if you haven't the tools/knowledge/confidence to tackle the job then it's best to get someone who has to do the job for you, even if that means paying for it.

Nissan Micra - Need advice on repairing my car! - Tommk4

As far as the brakes go then yes i'd definatley get some help with that one from someone who has at least changed them before.

As for the difficult starting, it could be any number of things, but changing the plugs is a sensible place to start. You will need only 2 tools. 1) A correct size socket to romove them and put the new ones in. 2) A thickness guage to adjust the gap on the new spark plugs. (You will, therfore, also need to find out what the correct gap on your new plugs should be)

Changing oil is easy, googleing it will tell you how in detail, but breifly...

Jack car up, undo sump plug and catch oil in a container, remove oil filter and dispose of, replace sump plug and fit new filter, fill up with fresh oil.

As for disposing of the oil I think household recycling centres can get rid of it for you.

As stated before a haynes manual would be a wise investment as it will answer all your questions in detail and also give you information about how much oil to fill it up with and ant other issues you might come across.

Good luck!

This is great advice thank you!

We have fitted one side of brake pads ("we" being me and my dad) but cannot get the other calliper open. The bolts are rounded off and we have tried all sorts, Dad has taken advice from engineers at work and got some heavy duty mole grips but still cant shift the bolts. Any advice on how to get these out? if not it looks like im taking it somewhere and getting a new calliper!

Cheers

H

Nissan Micra - Need advice on repairing my car! - Tommk4
Mole grips wont do it, there are, however, a few other options. 1 is, if there is any shape left on the nut at all, try and force a hexagonal socket on there by whacking it on with a hammer, obviously for this to work it will need to be ultra tight, so use one that is one size too small if it will go anywhere near to fitting...This is the the most successful method in my opinion.

2nd is to cut a deep slit in the nut and use a screwdriver or blunt chisel and a hammer and tap it loose, in an anticlockwise direction.

3rd Is to use one of the special tools designed for especially this purpose, one I know of is a socket with serrated teeth which run opposite to the thread of the bolt and bite strongly into it as you turn, thus never slipping and allowing you to remove the bolt.

One you've got one bolt free the other one can be made to come loose easily, so work out which one is less rounded and concentrate on that one...once that one is free give the calliper a good whack with a hammer so that the side you have loosened moves away from the disc, this will loosen the remaining bolt and it will come off easy. (Put a piece of wood in between to prevent damage to the calliper)