Nissan Almera - Nissan Almera N16 Gearbox or Clutch? - buzf355

Hi

I have a Nissan Almera N16 (2003 revised) with a somewhat annoying sound on occasions but has recently been getting progressively worse and more frequent.

The type of noise i hear is a whining/Droning noise which occurs occasionally. I initially suspected it to be the clutch as when the noise did occur, dipping the clutch pedal would temporarily silence the sound. It would re-appear once the clutch is re-engaged.

Took it to the local mechanic and surprise surprise, the sound was not present! So he had a look underneath the vehicle to inspect for any obvious culprits. He spotted a leak from the gearbox which he suspects may be a leaky driveshaft seal as the transmission fluid looked like a fresh leak.

Now I'm puzzled as to whether this problem is the gearbox or the clutch! HAd it been a gearbox problem, I've been told I would hear a "humming" sound, getting progressively louder the faster I went, which would be the bearings needing replacement (apparently common thing with Nissan gearboxes). However I don't hear this sound but I am concerned with the leak.

I need some advice on how to rectify the problem. With the gearbox, is worthwhile the work to simply replace the seals? Replacing the cluth would be an option but if it is a problem with the gearbox, then it would be good to have the gearbox reconditioned and fitted at the same time as the clutch.

Some advice please...

Nissan Almera - Nissan Almera N16 Gearbox or Clutch? - mickeybo

do you get any sounds at stand still engine idling before jumping to any conclusions

make sure the required amount of gearbox oil is in vehicle and then test run and post back

Best Reguards Mickeybo

location Derry N/ireland

Nissan Almera - Nissan Almera N16 Gearbox or Clutch? - primeradriver

Bearings would result in a whine on overrun (when you take the foot off the gas when slowing down), usually in 2nd and 3rd gear. However this issue was common to older Nissan boxes; newer ones don't usually suffer the problem.

If it is this fault, it's usually nothing to worry about -- my dad had a Nissan whose box started whining at 25K; it was still whining at 140K when he sold it on.