commuting from edinburgh to borders, advice please? - homervanderjaz

hi, i am thinking of taking up a job in the borders however would prefer to live in edinburgh. Does anyone do this commute and is it viable to do on a daily basis? the road i would have to take is the a68 and being single lane i know being stuck behind a lorry for a while may be another problem so could anyone advise if this is a busy route for lorrys? thanks for any help.

homer

Edited by homervanderjaz on 22/03/2010 at 23:10

commuting from edinburgh to borders, advice please? - hbosken

it can be busy, but most trucks heading south use the a1 which is flatter so uses less fuel and is dualled for a good part of the length to Newcastle. the a68 can be a pain - lots of speed cameras - and the section from carfraemill to the other side of Soutra is sometimes closed due to snow (snow gates). the a7 is the tourist route and best avoided especially i summer when you get grand-dad toottling aong at 30mph. Goinf over Soutra is an opportunity to overtake the trucks - overtaking lane on the uphill sections whichever way you go.

i regularly go from edinburgh to Melrose and Galashiels/Selkirk/hawick and use the a68. take about 40 minutes from edinburgh to Melrose and actually quite relaxing if you sit back and enjoy the ride. a68 is also my preferred route with a caravan as it's straighter as far as Newton St boswells.

work has started on remaking the rail link from Galashiels area to edinburgh -should be complete in about 3 to 45 years!

commuting from edinburgh to borders, advice please? - bintang

how far south-east or south-west of edinburgh is the job? For innerleithin, the drive ending with the b709 is very pleasant, as is the a703 for Peebles.

commuting from edinburgh to borders, advice please? - Falkirk Bairn

a friend of my eldest son commutes daily - from just north of Galashiels - non turbo impreza now with nigh on 200K on the clock - his view is 4wd is needed every year and this year especially.

commuting from edinburgh to borders, advice please? - tyro

"...his view is 4wd is needed every year and this year especially."

but others would take the view that winter tyres would do just as well - if not better.

commuting from edinburgh to borders, advice please? - homervanderjaz

thanks for all the replies, the job would be in Selkirk. i used the aa routeplanner and it is saying it would take 1 hr and 10 mins, the Rac one says 1 hr 28 mins, so i am glad hbosken you think it is nearer the aa estimate to get to the general area. i have a 1.9 diesel 55 plate Vectra and not a 4 wheel drive sadly but winter tyres may work as one of you has said.

Does anyone know what the weekly fuel costs would be roughly in the type of vehicle i have?

So just to confirm would part of the route to selkirk be closed during winter?

what is the general upkeep of the road like during winter, i.e. is it kept clear of snow?

Sorry for all the questions but just debating whether i should move there or do the commute everyday. thanks for any input.

commuting from edinburgh to borders, advice please? - hbosken

there are snow gates on Soutra - and it's so wild there, they're needed in winter. been closed a few times recently, which means everything then tried to go via the a7, which gets almost as bad as it's so bendy. the Galashiels to Selkirk stretch is, to put it bluntly, lousy, and there's not really any easy back roads into Selkirk that don't take you right up into the hills - and those roads don't get ploughed as priority in winter time. this winter, the roads between Gala, Selkirk and hawick were blocked several times - but so was edinburgh's city bypass! Maybe if the councils get more money to spend.............. (having a laugh here!)

i'd suggest winter tyres and keep food, water, a blanket, a shovel, and some spare warm clothes in the boot if the winter we've just had is repeated.

You could work out your fuel consumption using route planner - not too difficult when you know the distance and your normal consumption.

commuting from edinburgh to borders, advice please? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I know the area well from holidays and visiting friends and relatives. And I'm originally from Edinburgh.

Most people commute from the Borders to Edinburgh though!

I agree with all of the above and you must accept that you will not always get through when the weather is bad.Soutra has long been a problem.

Personally, I'd prefer to live in the Borders.