Skoda Superb - VW Passat - Mr Fox

I am a big fan of VW group products, and it seems that every magazine or web article I have seen recently is full of praise for the Skoda Superb. . . .

Now I am sure that the car is really good, but underneath it all is the platform, engines, and running gear, dashboard, seats etc, from a current b6 VW Passat. this was obvious with the last Generation Superb, and whilst slightly better disguised, has to still be the case today.

When you check out the pricing, there is hardly any difference between the two vehicles, if you compare like for like, engines, specifications and equipment.

So I am puzzled, both cars use the same bits, If the Skoda were much cheaper, you could see some logic to the two approaches. Whilst the Skoda gets praise from every quarter, wheras the Passat is seen as an efficient but dull car. They are the same !!!!

can somebody please explain what I am missing ?

Edited by Mr Fox on 20/03/2010 at 23:30

Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb - Altea Ego

The superb* is MUcH bigger inside than the passat, and has more toys as standard.

*specially the estate. you need to go and see it to appreciate how much room it has,

Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb - rtj70

The first Superb was based on the previous Passat platform (itself shared with some Audis).

The current Passat and Superb use the same platform (albeit stretched) as the Golf Mk V and VI, PQ35 I think.

I don't think it's easy to compare the Superb and Passat on price now. The Superb is now bigger than an E class Mercedes and is well spec'd too.

Edited by rtj70 on 20/03/2010 at 23:37

Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb - Mr Fox

Does size matter ? I mean you are not buying cars, like carpets = by the Yard . . . You still have to wash it and find a space to park it. How many people use their car purely to ferry bulky objects around. They could buy a Luton Van if size and carrying capacity were the key factors.

The extra size could equally be a curse in many instances, I must now go and compare the difference between the Passat and Superb and work out in which direction the Skoda is so much bigger.

I chose not to consider the Mondeo when I replaced my previous car (Mondeo III) because of size. Once reason I will have to consider say an audi a5 Sportback in 2011. I might like one anyway.

Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb - Mr Fox

OOH Yes the a5 Sportback looks fantastic doesn't get a very good write up though. . . The rear seats a bit tight, but I would have it for the looks alone.

I want it for looks alone :-) and normally it's either one or two in the car. Rarely use the rear seats in the Mazda6. Time to see if I can get rid of the Mazda6 12 months early.

Skoda Superb - Skoda Superb - Altea Ego

Does size matter ?

Not if you dont need it no it doesent. but you asked what the difference is, and in the car world the more metal you want the more you pay for it. except the skoda superb, more metal for less.

Skoda Superb - VW Passat - Avant

Historically VAG have tried to differentiate the brands so that they compete with other makes, rather than with each other. If the brands are chasing the same market, they can take sales from each other.

I've no figures to prove this, but I strongly suspect that the main casualty of the Skoda boom has been the Passat, and the arrival of the Superb combi will drive another nail into the coffin.

I think the original plan was :

VW - mainstream; Audi - upmarket; Skoda - cheap and cheerful; SEAT - sporting flavour.

The basic entry-level Skodas are still cheap, but upmarket versions are selling well and this has blurred the distinction.

Edited by Avant on 20/03/2010 at 23:40

Skoda Superb - VW Passat - a900ss

People may slate the current Passat as it's boring and lacklustre but I've had one as a hire car for the past 4 months and it is a fantastic family car (big and well thought out). It is also a tremendous car for distance driving on the motorway, it's bery refined and its seats and very comfortable.

I may be getting old but these things are becoming more important to me now that I have 2 young children to move around...

Skoda Superb - VW Passat - 659FBE

The longer wheelbase and twindoor back must make the Skoda a more attractive option if badging and possibly residuals are of lesser importance.

as a Mk1 Superb owner, I have no reservations about the build standards, but the legroom in terms of rear comfort is priceless. as with aircraft seats, no amount of free drinks makes up for space.

VaG are to some extent suffering from the success of Skoda and I think its golden days are numbered. Profitability is down and vehicle specifications are beginning to be trimmed (eg. no spare wheels any more) in order to cut costs. This policy presumably also makes the more expensively badged clones look more attractive and increases group profits.

I have no regrets over buying my Mk1 diesel - it does what it says on the can with remarkable levels of comfort and economy. I'm far less happy about the trading policies of VaG who released the Superb with serious design faults (eg.rainwater ingress) which were well known in the Passat - from which it was derived.

I'm not sure I would do business again with an organisation which sells products with known pre-existing defects. The Teves Mk60 brake controller seems to be a replay of the same policy.

We have a problem with capital Letters - Firefox?

Edited by 659FBE on 21/03/2010 at 15:39

Skoda Superb - VW Passat - Avant

No - there's some form of bug our end - apologies. Our publisher and software developer are on the case.