Ford Mondeo IV - Low battery - SteelSpark

was sat in my year old Mondeo, in a car park the other day, waiting for my wife. The key was in the ignition, but was turned all the way to the left - so there was no radio, air con etc on.

Suddenly I noticed a "low battery" warning flash up on the dashboard. Afraid that it might be about to run flat, I started the engine and just let it run for about 10 minutes and then I didn't notice the warning again.

Now, I have not been driving a lot recently, maybe no more than 100 miles in the last month, and I had only driven a couple of miles that day, and not at all for the previous couple of days.

So, I am wondering if there could be a problem with the battery or if, because of the lack of driving recently, it might have just not been charged enough. However, I would really expect to be able to leave the car for a few months, without running it and not come back to find a flat battery.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ford Mondeo IV - Low battery - Clk Sec
I would really expect to be able to leave the car for a few months, without running it and not come back to find a flat battery.

I wouldn't.

As a low mileage driver myself, I check the battery in my Mazda6 every four to six weeks and it usually needs a quick charge.

Clk Sec

As a low mileage driver myself, I check the battery in my Mazda6 every four to six weeks and it usually needs a quick charge.

Thanks. So it is quite possible that the battery is fine, but it is just the usage. When you charge the battery in your Mazda, do you do so by running the engine or do you use a battery charger?

Just wondering whether I should be looking to invest in something like this:

tinyurl.com/yj8z93h

So it is quite possible that the battery is fine, but it is just the usage.

I'm no technician, but I would think so based on my own experience.

When you charge the battery in your Mazda, do you do so by running the engine or do you use a battery charger?

I use a battery charger.

Ford Mondeo IV - Low battery - Peter.N.

If the car still started with the low battery light showing, it couldn't have been all that low, however a modern car left for a few months is highly likely to have a flat battery as there are all sorts of electronics drawing a little current when its parked, the alarm to name but a few. You can check the health of the charging circuit by connecting a voltmeter across the battery with the engine running, it should read 14 volts or more.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have ordered a multimeter so that I can check the battery, and may look to invest in a charger too.

Ford Mondeo IV - Low battery - elekie&a/c doctor

There are many current vehicles that use a power saver function for the battery .When the battery drops to a specified voltage then there is usually a message on the display ;Eco power or low battery .This is basically a warning to advise you to start the engine to restore battery reserve but not an indication of a fault in the electrical systems.hth

Just to follow up on this, I took some readings this morning.

Engine off = 12.24
Engine running = 14.72
Engine running with headlights plus front and rear heated windows = 14.45

From what I have been told elsewhere, I reckon it sounds OK (not fully charged, but then it hasn't been run much lately). So, as suggested elsewhere, it perhaps was just a rogue alarm.

I will keep an eye on it, especially if I don't run it for a few days.

Thanks for all the input.

Ford Mondeo IV - Low battery - Peter.N.

That sound OK, although 14.72 v charging sounds a bit on the high side, assuming the battery is in good order, I think your problem is just being caused by lack of use.

I think your problem is just being caused by lack of use.

Nothing more, nothing less in my 'umble opinion...