Tyre sidewall damage - repairable? - movilogo

Last week during servicing, dealer told me one of my tyres (front n/s) got a nail in tyres sidewall which was unrepairable [and I changed all tyres just 3 months back!]

Since I had a full size spare wheel, I asked them to fit that as a replacement.

Now my question is, can I repair this tyre?

Off course, I won't use this tyre on motorway speeds [after repair]. However, I wonder whether I need to buy a new tyre for spare or just repair it so that it becomes a "limp home" mode spare tyre.

In case it can't be repaired, should I buy a good tyre for spare or just buy a cheap budget one?

My current tyres are all Continental Eco [last set lasted ~30k miles, even with puncture repair on 2 tyres].

Edited by movilogo on 15/03/2010 at 21:10

Tyre sidewall damage - repairable? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

If you plan on never having another puncture and driving on the motorway, why carry a spare at all? Sidewall punctures are not reckoned to be repairable.

If the ex-spare you are using is not of the same type as the rest, I'd buy another Continental then 'return' the spare to the boot.

Tyre sidewall damage - repairable? - rtj70
If the ex-spare you are using is not of the same type as the rest, I'd buy another Continental then 'return' the spare to the boot.

I think I'd agree with the above. Especially if the other tyres are not that worn.

Tyre sidewall damage - repairable? - Altea Ego

You would have to repair it yourself in some way, no tyre place will touch it.

Tyre sidewall damage - repairable? - movilogo

Fortunately, my spare was exactly same Continental Eco :-)

Looks like time to get another spare tyre.

Tyre sidewall damage - repairable? - idle_chatterer

I suspect that garages don't repair sidewalls for safety reasons ? Could this imply that were you to attempt to do it yourself then to use the tyre would be to commit an offence re the road worthiness of your vehicle ?

When I've had 'full size' steel spares (with alloys) I've often considered getting a cheaper brand for the spare (which being steel wouldn't be left on the car) should I ever bring the OEM tyre into use but in all honesty have always just bought a matching quality brand for the alloy road wheel.

The tyres are probably one of the most important safety elements on the car so I think skimping on them is always a false ec***my....

Edit - why on Earth has the word e c o n o m y been asterised, it's not offensive is it ?

Edited by idle_chatterer on 16/03/2010 at 10:42

Tyre sidewall damage - repairable? - Clk Sec

Edit - why on Earth has the word e c o n o m y been asterised, it's not offensive is it ?

I think this point was raised some weeks ago. Same word, too.

Clk Sec

Tyre sidewall damage - repairable? - piston power

It used to be £25.00 for a sidewall repair not worth it really better to put cash towards a new tyre.

Second hand tyre shops will repair it for you they may even just fit a tube patch to sidewall these are flexible and if only a pin hole will be ok, this is how they sell there's!

Tyre sidewall damage - repairable? - Rover25

Some tyre dealers can properly repair side wall damage. I know Thistlewaites in Bolton will do a hot vulcanised repair for £15.

Tyre sidewall damage - repairable? - Lygonos

Multilingual swearfilter.

"C o n" is naughty if you are from some Euro destinations.

Kinda like S c u n t h o r p e.