Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - Alanovich
Yesterday I needed to join the M4 westbound at J11. The junction here is built above the motorway, and is currently the subject of a massive re-construction project.

At the westbound entry slip, the left lane of the slip road is currently coned off just past the entry, meaning everyone has to merge in to the right lane. There are often two lanes of traffic jostling for the single lane on the slip road at the moment.

As I indicated left to join the slip road down form the roadworks at the roundabout, I noted that the three cars in front of me were battling for two spaces, the two in the right lane did not seem to want the other car to merge. So I held off the throttle a bit to give myself a bit more space in front of me whilst they sorted it out.

As this happened, a purple X-Trail tore up my left flank and swerved in front of me, taking my safety margin and forcing me to dab the brakes, as he had to brake to slow down, thus avoiding rear-ending the car in front.

Annoyed, I blasted the horn, and immediately after this the sound of a screaming airhorn came from behind me as an HGV struggled to avoid rear ending me.

The guy in the X-Trial was by now glaring at me in his mirror, and I pointed at him, then behind me at the lorry to indicate that he had caused the near miss.

This enraged the X-Trial driver, who I could see turning red even in his rear view mirror.

He joined the M4, then deliberately slowed up to encourage me to pass him, which I did. Whilst I was doing so, he wound down his window and leant out, giving me the full coffee beans and screaming abuse of some kind. Once I was past him, he turned on his beam and tailgated me for a good half mile, during which time I was wishing I had a handsfree phone and could dial 999. I also considered pulling off in to Reading Services, but was worried that he would follow.

So, I found two HGVs in the left lane, and pulled in between them (it was a big enough gap, I didn't cause either truck any difficulty here). X-Trail man then blasted past me and went off on his way, but for a final finale managed to point down at my car as he went past, mouthing something I couldn't make out but it appeared he was pointing at my number plate, and I presume he was intending to memorise it and look out for me in future. Happily, I was on my way to change cars, so that was the last time I was to drive that car.

I had my 5 year old son in the back seat, who was fortunately oblivious to all this.

OK, I shouldn?t have tootled him quite so melodiously (or at all) when he cut me up. But heavens. I was really terrified (more for my son's safety of course more than anything), and I just couldn't believe the guy's anger and willingness to put us all in danger. More than once.

Visions of Kenneth Noye danced in my head.

Am I getting too sensitive or was I justifiably shaken by this?

Perhaps in the original incident he was having trouble getting between me and the lorry behind me. But if that?s the case, he should have backed off and merged in behind the lorry.
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - maz64
Am I getting too sensitive

Definitely not - it sounds frightening. Your original action comes nowhere near excusing his behaviour.
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - daveyjp
"Annoyed, I blasted the horn"

In situations like this be aware of the nutter, but let him get on with it. Better to have a nutter in front as they can be seen.

Drive so you accommodate the occasional nutter and you'll never see a red mist again.
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - stevied
I had a similar experience with a moronic Neanderthal lorry driver, I did a thread about it a while back.

It is scary, but people get irrational in cars (and lorries).

By the way, I am sure the police would let you off not using a handsfree in this instance!
By the way I am sure the police would let you off not using a
handsfree in this instance!

Perhaps, but my phone was in the boot, where I always put it to stop the temptation to answer the blasted thing if it rings. Maybe I should switch it off and keep it in the cabin.
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - stevied
Good compromise.
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - ForumNeedsModerating
Well of course Alanovich, you just met an authentic nutter. There are people out there, who, through some fluke haven't yet been locked-up - and they drive too.

It sort of echoes, in some respects, the tale on another recent thread about a disconnect between the 'crime' & the reaction to it - the reaction in this case being tailgating, full-beaming & verbally abusing.

You can always be sure that any aggressive and/or anti-social tendency present in a person will be focussed & amplified when that person drives - cars act like some sort of weird bad-energy magnifier for some reason.

As a result, my first thought on encountering this sort of situation is that I'm not going to be the ember that lights the blue touch paper - although I'm not always as saintly of course!

You can only take the small consolation that this person, must, in their 'everyday' lives be somewhat fraught, unhappy & unsuccessful on some level & may well meet their counterpart one day - and leave them to enjoy that.

Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - rtj70
I've mentioned on here once before about someone doing similar to me on local roads. In the end I pulled up and called the police. He stopped and came over and mouthed off when I was on the phone to the police control room (all hands free). They heard it all. He got a visit that night from the traffic police - about 11:30pm on a Sunday.
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - perro
I too used to be a 'nutter' in a previous life, but after living in Tenerife for 3 years and Cornwall for 14 years I'm now a fully paid up mimser.
So, I can speak from both sides as it were, and would say is that woodbines has it pretty well sussed IMO.
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - FotheringtonThomas
I'd be inclined to mention this at your convenient police station, you never know.
I wish I could remember the chaps' reg number, FT. I think it was a private plate, as I know that car is a post 2001 model and I seem to remember the reg started with three letters. I think I remember two of them, as they were a double.

I'm an utter spod when it comes to memorising number plates (I can recount all my 28 cars and those owned by my parents since about 1975), but I was so scared and determined to concentrate on not crashing that I didn't take a moment to read the plate fully. Wish I had. Maybe it's all on CCTV somewhere............

Edited by Alanovich on 17/02/2010 at 13:46

Maybe it's all on CCTV somewhere............

Hm. "In-car camera" - getting cheaper all de time....
Would need to cover 360 degrees to get all of this idiot's behaviour, FT. Can they do that?

Crikey, I used to sell CCTV systems in the dim and distant, pre digital age. I'm out of touch with them now.
There seem to be various options, including things not specifically designed for cars. I have been wondering about the possibilities of using a "video" camera of some sort and a mirrot to obtain simultaneous front/behind pictures. You know what I mean, I'm not trying to say "behind". Another thread, perhaps?
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - Dynamic Dave
I'm an utter spod when it comes to memorising number plates

I've set my hands free kit to activate the voice record facility on my mobile phone when I press the button on the earpiece to make a call and say the word "RECORD". Handy for making a quick memo of number plates, etc.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/02/2010 at 13:50

My "new" car has got an old BT Cellnet aerial and hands free cradle installed, with microphone, speaker the lot - professional job done in 2002, the car came with the receipts for the work. But my current phone doesn't fit in the cradle. Perhaps I should go and get myself an old phone compatible with the installed system, or does the fact that it's a BT Cellnet (defunct network) kit mean it won't work now, especially as I'm on Orange?
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - maz64
Maybe it's all on CCTV somewhere............

Well they do have a J11 'jamcam' at least - as another poster said it might be worth mentioning it to the BiB and see if they come up with anything.
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - zookeeper
writing the no plate of the offending vehicle on the inside of your windscreen with a wet finger will leave a recoverable image if needed be at a later stage
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - redviper
I totally sympathise

The other night in rush hour traffic, I was driving round the Darlington ring road (a66) heading east towards Middlesbrough

I had just gone over the Darlington football club Roundabout, following in orderly fashion the line of cars in front of me (it was dark)

Crossed the roundabout and someone over took the car in behind me, then came up so far behind he was literally a nano second behind ? the road at best is only about 3 cars wide (IMO) however its solid line for most of the way up.

He (a battered Volvo 240/740 Estate) then pulled out from behind me, to over take but as he just drew level there was another car overtaking fron the other direction (again on the solid lines) and then proceeded to pull in I had to stamp on the brakes as he was going to take out the front of my car.

As soon as he did this my heart rate instantly doubled and my blood pressure rose ? I peeped my horn twice, flashed my full beam and muttered to my self but then he kept dabbing his brakes on as if to get me to stop.
I dropped back, eventually we approached the roundabout that joins A66 East (right Lane) Darlington North East (left Lane)
He pulled into the right lane and then I pulled into the left to turn into Darlington ? Proceeded to shake his fist in a abusive way ( I cant type on here the actual sign that he made but if you curl your fist and shake your hand you get the idea)
I turned onto Darlington and went home to my partner I was literally shaking my blood pressure was still high ? the fact that someone could of, through there own stupidity wiped me out, and there was nothing much I could do about it
I really sympathise with the OP and just say try not to dwell on it too much

Edited by redviper on 17/02/2010 at 15:12

Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - 1400ted
A lot of bravado with these types. When it comes to the crunch they put their foot down and scuttle off.
Young guy in a Beemer nearly sideswiped me changing into my lane before a roundabout.
I braked and he got in front of me. I gave him a bit of horn Stopping at the roundabout he got out and came back to threaten me. When he saw I was considerably bigger than him, with a face like a bulldog, he scuttled back to his car and sped off.......I followed him for a while, actually making the same turnoffs as he did until I got tired of the game........I think he must have had to wash his trolleys when he got home.
Normally I can't be bothered with these twonks , but I was at a loose end !

Ted
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - Mapmaker
>>Annoyed, I blasted the horn,

And where exactly in the Highway Code does it suggest that blasting the horn is a suitable cure for annoyance?

Just see how it feels from the other side. www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=83...2

Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - ForumNeedsModerating
>>And where exactly in the Highway Code does it suggest that blasting the horn is a >>suitable cure for annoyance?

Not the point though is it? You could equally well say you blasted the horn to indicate your immediate presence - as the other driver clearly hadn't see you or registered it by his/her actions. That's acceptable in the HC I believe.

You can be annoyed & obey the HC - not mutually exclusive. In fact, if I manage a trip without some careless or thoughtless driver causing annoyance, I consider myself lucky these days.

Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - Nsar
Mapmaker, I don't think that the circs in that thread are similar to those described here.

I think the OP's actions are pretty reasonable. Does anybody really drive by the letter of the Highway Code at all times? I doubt it.
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - ifithelps
...where in the Highway Code does it say...

Now we know what the other driver was trying to say to Alanovich: "You, sir, were driving otherwise than in accordance with the Highway Code."

And there's silly Alanovich thinking the guy was being rude, ignorant, and aggressive.

Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - idle_chatterer
There's a lot of it about - sadly.

I've undertaken defensive driving courses and the advice is to always to let tailgaters be in front of you and to leave a longer stopping distance (in front) whilst they're behind you.

Another 'trick' (but be careful of 'upping the ante') is to wash your windscreen - can make tailgaters pull back, if only for a moment as the spray hits their screen.

However, I always think of an expression my long deceased father used to say when this happened and I was a passenger as a child "he (or she) is probably in a hurry to get to their parents' wedding".....
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - Pat L
I had a very unpleasant road rage incident a couple of years ago, and I wished I'd made a not of the guy's reg. I'd certainly recognise him if I saw him again, and I'm fairly certain he's known to the police given his behaviour towards me when he got out of the car in a traffic jam. I still can't believe I didn't 'respond', but I'm glad (and proud!) that I didn't. I think the guy who confronted me is dangerous, as is the driver in the OP's case.

It all happens so quickly and as 'normal' people we can't predict how we'll react to such incidents. And if you've got young children on board it's even worse. On the other hand, my 15 year-old son will offer 'constructive criticism' on my gestures to other drivers!!
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - bristol01
Very difficult situations, these. On the one hand you're justifiably annoyed that this numbn*ts has endangered you and other drivers. On the other, blowing your horn or signalling that he's done something stupid and dangerous is not going to make him change his behaviour. Until fairly recently I'd have been there on the horn and telling him what for, but now I've got a young daughter I just tend to take a deep breath and express silently what I think...

But I really do sympathise with your position, Alanovich.
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - tyro
Woodbines: " There are people out there, who, through some fluke haven't yet been locked-up - and they drive too."

I think that is the nub of it.

I am not a perfect driver. I occasionally make errors of judgement which must annoy other drivers. I feel bad about it, but have not yet worked out a way of saying "Sorry, mate - and thanks for being patient with me."

But I have one rule that I keep to. If another driver irritates me, I make sure that I don't show my annoyance. At least not to him. After all, the person who has annoyed me may just turn out to be one of the nutters that Woodbines speaks of. And I don't really want to be the catalyst for their imprisonment.

Edited by tyro on 17/02/2010 at 22:34

Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - Mick Snutz
There was a time in my yoof when I may have flashed and laid on my horn and even followed an idiot who had annoyed me.
Age and 'wisdom' have mellowed me and now I just shout from the comfort of my seat to get any pent up anger out straight away. I then usually say out loud that they must have been born out of wedlock and hope they snap their cambelt.

Makes me feel a lot better.
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - cheddar

I had something similar once on the M4, about 10 years ago, the other car was a Granada IIRC, he brake tested me twice nearly causing a multiple pile up as there were other vehicles around. I indicated that I was stopping on the hard shoulder, he did the same though 200 yds or so beyond me, I waited for him to walk towards me and accelerated away when he was a few yards away, he would have had to have been Usaine Bolt to have a chance of catching me again.

I never knew what it was that upset him, or I cannot recall now anyway.
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - PBB
Full sympathy for the OP, and others who have experienced similar incidents

I have also been at the receiving end of many incidents over the years

Like many other responders, I no longer get on the horn when someone upsets me, because these days we just have no idea what will happen, and as bristol01 says, it's not going to change their behaviour - very valid point

Certainly no criticism of the OP for honking though, as Pat L says we don't know how we respond, and we understandably get enraged when someone deliberately puts us in danger, especially with a youngster on board

I guess that the other problem with NOT retailiting is that we create a divide between those who intimidate and those who don't. So eventually the agressive drivers will have full control of the roads, (mind you, they have it already with no insurance, no MOT etc etc!)

OP - you did well to maintain control of your vehicle in the light of such an agressive action
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - cheddar
>>as bristol01 says it's not going to change their behaviour - very valid point

I dont know, I think some people simply dont realise how unsociable they are until given an indication.

A bit like the noisy git in the pub, if you tell him he will either say "sorry guv, have one on me" or tonk you!

Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - b308
I've undertaken defensive driving courses and the advice is to always to let tailgaters be
in front of you and to leave a longer stopping distance (in front) whilst they're
behind you.

I've been told that as well... but what do they tell you to do if, as said earlier, the guy gets in front and then slows down?
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - Mapmaker
Nsar>>Mapmaker, I don't think that the circs in that thread are similar to those described here.

Who knows? Who knows why the other driver was behaving so abysmally? He might have been kicked out by his wife and be looking for a fight. Why join in?

No doubt the hoot of OP's horn could be viewed as alerting the other driver. BUT the real reason for doing it was for OP to have a frank exchange of views. The art of keeping out of fights - and being frightened in the way OP was - is not to get into them in the first place.

Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - PBB
Cheddar says:

"I dont know, I think some people simply dont realise how unsociable they are until given an indication.

A bit like the noisy git in the pub, if you tell him he will either say "sorry guv, have one on me" or tonk you!"

Good point Cheddar. But I think the analogy only works in a face to face situation as per your Pub example. The horn is just seen as an act of agression these days. When I think back to the times I used to honk in rebuke, it never helped the situation or taught the other driver the error of their ways, it always just made the situation worse, so I don't press it any more. I agree it's difficult not to press it sometimes though.

Tricky one this!
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - jbif
Tricky one this!

We all probably remember the Kenneth Noye story. However, this report from April 2009 is also worth remembering,

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1164141/Motorist-...l

( above link is pre-judgement, and includes transcript of 999 call )

(below link is report after sentencing)
www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/apr/20/road-rage-death-...d

Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - bristol01
I was driving from Dorset to Bristol last night and on a dual carriageway section of an A road which is used as an overtaking point a bad accident had occurred. There must have been 10 emergency vehicles attending, including three or four ambulances, and I glimpsed the flashing indicators of a car which had gone off the road. A single stretcher lay unused at the roadside.

Several drivers had overtaken a slower car at speed (80+) and some were itching to outdo each other before the dual carriageway ended. We all had to slow to a crawl to negotiate the cluster of emergency vehicles, but once on the way again, everyone really calmed down, initially I thought because of the police cars there, but they seemed to take it easier for some time afterwards. It was a sobering sight.

I didn't get past the slower car, which was doing a steady 50, so not too much of an inconvenience, and in any case it turned off a couple of miles down the road. I hope the occupant(s) of the crashed car(s) were OK, but it looked very nasty.

Perhaps some tailgaters might think twice when presented with such scenes, but I fear that the hardened headcases are oblivious of such dangers.
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - perro
*** The horn is just seen as an act of agression these days ***

Well, no ... It depends on the degree of honking actually,
My wife was cut up where a 2 laner goes into 1 (she's a mimser btw)
She gave a gentle 'toot' just to let the numb-scull know, and he put his hand up to say sorry but - if she'd gorn BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP she'd have got = !
Frightening incident - tailgated down the M4 - Geistak
Am I getting too sensitive<<

Yes dear.